Chapter 11

Hi!

I don't know if it's only me, but lately time's flying. It's like one day it's Monday and suddenly the weekend's already over... Shakes her head.  Anyway, here's the next chapter for you guys. Please let me know if you liked it! Thank you for reading!!

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 11

The sounds increased with each step towards Crimson District, semi-darkness turning into a flash-concert of colors and buzzing light. The streets were livelier than ever. We paved our way through the oncoming waves of humans, magical folk, and vampires. Thanks to a blurry digital picture Isabel had provided us with, we had a vague idea how Matt looked like. Time to do some down-to-earth investigating.

Blaze turned to me, grabbing my arm. “So are we clear on the plan?”

I was still angry with him. I didn’t agree with his methods, effective as they were.

“Yeah, we’re gonna walk into the Flying Dragon and find this Matt person. If he even shows up this night. What I still don’t get is how we’re gonna approach him. Walk up trying to buy drugs? And then what? Are you gonna scare him into talking with your guns?” I said, pointing at his arms. “No Blaze, this time we’re gonna do it right.”

He gave me a look. “One, we’re supposed to work undercover. Lying is part of the game. Two, Isabel said Matt was a regular. And even if he’s not a regular, someone in that club will know where we can find him. Admit it Anna, you’re just shocked that my way works better than yours,” he said.

I turned my back on him and marched on. Blaze’ sense of right and wrong was more muddled than I liked, yes, but the fact that I couldn’t seem to come up with better options was even more disconcerting. He came up to me, fastening his pace. I couldn’t help but feel small beside all that looming mass of muscle. We walked together in silence, paving our way through the growing crowd of clubbers.

The Flying Dragon was crammed between other bars and clubs of the same caliber – another flashlight, another sound concert of music and voices. Drawn dragons of various sizes and colors slithered their way up and down the building and the signpost. It was still early, so we entered without having to line up. We made our way to the bar, where Blaze entered a heated conversation on sports with the bartender and one other guest. I didn’t understand how or why it happened, but by the time Blaze moved the conversation to our target in an admittedly unobtrusive manner, they were talking like they were buddies.

“Hey, do you know a guy named Matt? Long black hair, brown eyes?” Blaze said, leaning forward slightly.

“Matt, yeah, I know him. One of the regulars. Why, you looking for him?” The bartender said, pouring beer for another guest.

“Actually, I’m looking for his new girlfriend. Owes me fifty bucks, that one,” Blaze said. “You seen her somewhere?”

“You mean the blond one he arrived with last week?”

“Yeah. Blue eyes, petite, kind of cute. Goes by the name of Natalie,” Blaze said nonchalantly.

“Nah, didn’t come here again. Judging from the way she clung to him last time though, I bet they’re gonna show up together again. Couldn’t take their eyes from each other last week,” the bartender said. He shot the other guest at the counter a glance before leaning forward, eyes on Blaze in a conspiratorial manner. “Usually he arrives around midnight. But no brawling, I’m warning you. Boss is strict on that one.”