Chapter 38

Hi!

Another chapter, and I'm eager to hear your opinion! Someone will make a reappearance, and I'm interested what you think about the way he talks to Anna and how he treats her. Hope it all makes sense. Thank you all so much for reading :D

Lara

________________________________________________________

Chapter 38

I got into his car and let myself flop into the seat wordlessly. Judging from the way Andy was looking at me, I slammed the door with a wee bit too much force. He narrowed his eyes, a playful smile on his lips.

"What crawled up your ass and died, Johnson?"

I glared at him. "Quit it. We gotta get going!"

He cocked an eyebrow and put in the reverse gear wordlessly.

I sighed. "Sorry. It's just been like the really worst, and I mean worst, two nights of my life. Did you get the address?"

He nodded absently, his head turned back while reversing the vehicle. As soon as we were on the road, however, he shot a probing glance at me.

"Care to tell me why you call me in the middle of the night, demanding a vehicle and the information where the mayor is currently residing?" He said darkly.

I shrugged. "It's not like you had anything better to do. You picked up after the second ring."

He graced me with a non-committal shrug. "I thought it was someone from the Force."

I rolled with my eyes, directing my gaze to the light-blurred streets outside.

"So, why did you call?" Andy said.

I suppressed a sigh of frustration. I'd known it would come to that. "Well, you know about the 'untouched body' case the TF3 was working on? Well, Brown refused to let me in on the case after the thing with my rib."

Andy nodded, eyes directed to the front. "Figured."

"So I kind of went to Lake Eerie to investigate, since the Force there was obviously not doing their job properly."

"You went to Lake..." his voice started out with that usual light-tone-quality, but then he fell silent abruptly, apparently stumbling on the meaning of what I had said. "You went there all by yourself? After you injured yourself?"

Reflexes had me turning around, catching him in the middle of turning his eyes back on the road. I blinked. That voice. Had Andy just used a reprimanding tone he usually reserved for people he called imbeciles and idiots – among other things?

"Someone had to do it," I said, not knowing why I got so worked up by how he'd reacted. "There's more." I took a deep breath, slamming the words out as fast as possible. "I was kidnapped by flunkies of Michigan's head vamp Gina, who then turned me into her personal blood bag and somehow messed with my head; but I guess what really made my night was that I was rescued by his Greatness, aka Alexander, in person." I took a breath. "So, I guess that's why I called you in the middle of the night. And just for the record, I didn't demand a vehicle."

I turned to him. The second-hand comment I had had in mind died on my lips. Andy was gripping the steering wheel, knuckles white, small pointy hilltops on the landscape of his hand. He slowed down and parked at the curb wordlessly. I looked out the window, craned my neck, expected to find some sort of black car tailing us. The cliché put aside, the cars passing us looked normal enough to me.