Chapter 19

Hi

I managed to finish this one earlier as expected, yeah! It was fun to write and I hope you feel the same about it. Please let me know what you think and thank you all for reading!!

Lara

________________________________________________________

Chapter 19

Ever since Alexander bit me I carried a black box with me. It was right there, a chest shackled and chained, never to be opened. I kept things in there I never wanted to contemplate or think about. However, not all things stayed in there. Personal demons rarely did.

I approached Ryon Club reluctantly, trying to lock and seal the last bits of memories, of that dark, terrifying emotion. That memory.

I shook my head. Giuliana had left me with more questions, but I knew who I was now. I had faced my past and witnessed the death of my own parents. Nothing in the world could be worse than that. Nothing. Meeting with the Prince of Darkness, aka Alexander, should be a walk in the park. I could do this.

I raised my head, deliberately not looking at my watch. I didn't give a damn whether I was late anyway. At least I found the Club easily this time. I moved closer, the dark blue neon sign with the words Ryon Club my unfortunate target. Vampires, anywhere I looked. They were all in a straight line, positioned neatly on the velvet carpet at the entrance. Trying to ignore the fact, I stepped into the line, waiting to get entrance into a building I once swore to never set foot in again.

Once I saw it, my determination began to fade and evaporate. I didn't want to see the head vampire again. I didn't want to have to look into his eyes. I didn't know what I would be seeing in them and – no matter what it was – I had no idea how I was going to handle it. I shook my head, ordering my thoughts.

There was one thing I found strength in. There was something I had come to realize. Alexander once told me that what prevented him from forcing me to be his human servant was his leniency. Yet, as he had proven on countless occasions already, he could take over my body and mind and play me like a walking, talking fiddle. He could do whatever he wanted to.

Alexander was a master of deception and grand scheming. So the obvious question was: if he could force me, why did he even hesitate? Out of the goodness of his heart? Hardly likely.

No. That bastard needed me. He needed me in such a way that he could not just mind-control me. It had to be me, all of me, not just a puppet on strings. The $ 64.000 question was: Why did he need a witch to begin with?

The question followed me until it was my turn to face the bouncer. I recognized him immediately, the memories of my first visit still very vivid. His bald head and bursting muscles were a tribute to body building and the art of wrestling. I walked up to him, folding my arms in front of me, waiting. He in turn didn't even dignify me with a second glance.

"No entrance for non-vampires," he stated with a bored expression, his British accent permeating each single syllable.

"I know," I said and held my position stubbornly.

"Piss off, girl," he growled. Wafts of cold hit my sensory organs in warning. I should have taken a step back, acknowledging the deepening of his eyes, the stillness of his lungs and the lethality of his arms. He was a monster. But, frankly, I was past caring.

"Oh, believe me, I'd like to, but I guess a certain someone would be pissed then. You don't happen to remember who I am?" I replied coolly.

He lowered his eyes to look at me – really look at me – for the first time. Recognition crept into his facial expression, a motion more awkward than a blossoming rose in the iciest parts of hell.