Chapter 35

Hi!

Sorry for the wait! I'm back with another chapter, and, guess what, I love it! Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing this one. :D

So, if there's anything you particularly liked (or didn't like), let me know.

Lara

______________________________________________________

Chapter 35

I blinked. The head vampire of New York was standing inside the room, a dark shape of black muscle and power. His moonlit features were a sharp contrast to the night-darkened view of the gardens behind him. I found myself thinking that he looked like an avenging angel. Had I felt any better I would have snorted out loud.

I really must have lost too much blood.

Alexander was a lot, but all the words popping up in my mind didn't even come remotely close to something as pure as an angel.

Once the rain of glass splinters had stopped fully, the world settled into an eerie state of stasis. The air was packed with an almost palpable current of electricity, a heady punch of power and adrenaline that was suffocating. And yet, nothing moved in that confined sphere of undead power. Moments of sharp, sizzling absence of noise passed before Gina finally broke the spell of silence.

"Good evening Alexander. What a happy coincidence. We were just talking about you."

"Gina Cox. I should have known that it was you."

Alexander's voice was one big contradiction. Emotional deadness paired with a staggering amount of power. It was more than sound. It felt as if it had a life of its own. And it made me want to run. As far away from that nightmare as the country's borders would allow. As fast as my feet would carry me. Not that I could have moved an inch. I had trouble keeping my eyes focused.

Alexander went on, his eyes never leaving his opponent's.

"To think of it." He chuckled darkly. "I suspected François Bertrand of being behind all of it."

Gina affected a laugh. "Bertrand? That self-important Canadian imbecile has enough on his plate without dirtying his hands with the likes of you."

"Bertrand an imbecile? It seems that that can't be denied. For the rest..." He let out a sigh. "In fact I came to pay my respects, Gina. Disentitling me by subtly starting a new illegal drug network in my territory? My compliments to you. It was a good plan."

The female head vampire seemed to be unperturbed by what she surely knew was just another way of Alexander mocking her.

She sneered. "Save your false compliments. It was your own doing. You were not fit to rule over New York in the first place. You should have never obtained the position back then in 1945. Did you believe that it would be enough to create a territory of stability, as you call it? Stability!" She spat the word out, rushed through it as if it was dirty and unpleasant. "You were not powerful enough to hold one of the most important states in North America, and still you acted like you were master over me and everyone. And now you built up alliances with leaders of the other races, thinking it would save you, you fool."

Alexander smiled frostily. "Fortune favors fools, Gina. You should know that. And you should also know that – even had you succeeded – you would have never been able to deceive the Vampire League."

"Just like you should have known that you won't be able to keep the existence of your little magical servant a secret. What would you have done once the Circle found out that she was yours? She is too powerful to be given to you just like this," Gina countered, jerking her head in my direction.