Chapter 13

Hi guys!

I've been thinking about writing, publishing and not-publishing, A LOT. And I came to a conclusion. Yes, I would very much like to see this story published. But, no, I don't think my writing's good enough (just yet). However, I like like like this story and the characters so much, I want to keep on working on it. It's fun, and I love it.

I realized that to me the most important thing, the thing that drives me, is knowing that someone reads my story and enjoys it. I'm not sure that publishing would ever happen to me, and it feels like the story would be lost.... So, I will keep on posting this story on Wattpad. :D

I think there's still a lot I can and have to learn, and hopefully you guys will help me in that with your feedback and your opinion.

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 13

I can't believe I'm doing this.

Did I really just enter Southwest to join Andy Varner and his friends for an after-work-drink? Maybe whatever had happened at the Riverside was to blame. Maybe the fact that Andy was someone who shared part of my memories of Maria was the reason. Or, maybe, I simply felt like having a drink. With the kind of week I had the idea appealed to me on more than one level. Whatever it was, there I was, standing at the entrance of the bar.

The subtle buzz of jazz sounds was not enough to comfort me. At least the establishment – apparently – didn't entertain guests of the non-breathing kind. I spotted Andy standing close to the bar, surrounded by what had to be a ring of male and female witches. He wore his trademark white shirt and jeans as if it was a combat dress and he wore it well.

I marched up to him and his friends, sashaying through the crowd. He saw me before I even reached them and mustered me with his dark brown eyes – a strange look, maybe speculation, somewhere in there. He met me half way, wading through the clusters of people effortlessly.

"Hi," I said, feeling – for reasons beyond my understanding – stupid.

"Hi," he said, looking at me from underneath long eyelashes. "Rumor has it that you ran into a vamp three weeks ago. That true?"

I tensed and narrowed my eyes. So the news had travelled, and they had travelled fast if the CF already knew about it.

"Why, are you jealous that I got to stake one?"

His eyes were steady, poised to meet mine. "No, just checking up on my student."

"If you think my new karate moves did the trick, I have to disappoint you, Andy. I looked like an amateur," I said.

His jaw muscles worked as his lips thinned. "You have to keep up your training, Anna. If you don't, there'll come the day when they're faster than you, and then you'll die. Simple as that."

I looked away. I didn't need him to tell me that. I had first-hand experience, shitloads of it.

"If you want to we can train together from time to time. The offer still stands," he said.

I looked at him for a long moment. He was one of the best fighters in the Force. While I would have liked to simply jump at the opportunity, I didn't understand his motivations. Why would he volunteer to pamper me and my lousy fighting skills?

"Why?"

He exhaled, running a hand through his messy, blond hair.

"Because we're colleagues, Anna. Even though we're not in the same team we're both members of the Circle. That's a bond and a commitment we should value."