05

popcorn didn't taste the same when there was a constant aftertaste of blood mixed with floral undertones in your mouth.

hyunjin popped a few more pieces of popcorn in his mouth before passing the bowl down to jeongin, who was sitting on the other side of the couch.

the raven haired boy paid no attention to the movie playing on the screen in front of him, rather, he was looking at seungmin, who looked so adorable all focused on the tv. like a puppy, almost.

so far the sleepover was going smoothly, and hyunjin had to admit, he did need it. he hadn't actually enjoyed anything for the past few weeks because he was constantly worrying about the hanahaki that always seemed to be worsening.

the eight friends were all snuggled closely together, sharing one big couch even though there were two in the living room. it made hyunjin feel happy, and reminded him of what his life was like just a month ago. when he could live without the constant worry that he might die because of a crush. when he didn't have to always be protective of a potentially deadly secret, and when he could be carefree with his friends.

but of course, soon enough all the happiness he felt was ruined by the sharp pains growing in his throat. and he was brought back to the sad reality of the way things were now.

hyunjin excused himself and rushed up to the washroom, expecting the normal, only to feel a pain in his chest worse than any of the previous times, and almost twice the amount usual of flowers.

it didn't seem to stop either. everything was red, from the counter to the floor.

sitting on the white tiled floor- which wasn't exactly white anymore, but that was the least of his concerns- hyunjin picked up a rose, staring down at it.

it was pretty, despite the traces of blood on the edges of its petals. pretty like seungmin. that delicate beauty, the one that draws you in without even knowing it, and soon you're addicted. yet it has a subtlety to it, creating a perfect balance.

hyunjin didn't know how long he stared at the rose, but it was long enough for tears to start streaming down his face.

long enough for someone to come upstairs, banging on the washroom door and calling his name.

but hyunjin didn't hear or notice any of it. he was too entranced by the small flower before him.

why don't you love me? was all he could think as his hand closed around the flower, bringing it to his chest.

his breathing was uneven and fast as flowers filled his lungs, and his tears became sobs as hyunjin started to fall unconscious.

the last thing he felt was his head hit the floor which was carpeted with a layer of roses.

meanwhile, outside the washroom stood a distressed seungmin frantically trying to open the washroom door after hearing the cries from inside.

"hyunjin! what's wrong? open the door please, i'm here!" he yelled, getting no response.

after a few more seconds of silence, he knew something was very wrong here.

"chan hyung!" the brunette called in a panic, knowing well that his eldest friend could easily break down the locked door.

in seconds chan was upstairs, followed by everyone else. seungmin couldn't form the words, only pointing at the washroom door as he felt a few tears skip from his eyes.

an alarm went off in the older's mind. how could he forget about hyunjin? he said he'd watch out for him. chan quickly ran over to the door, using his shoulder to knock it down in one try.

the door fell with a thud, and seungmin ran into the washroom, gasping at the sight before him.

there lay his best friend, in a pool of blood and roses.