spinoff: pink and red (minsung)

jisung had always loved cherry blossoms.

people would call him childish for it, the fact that he'd visit as many parks as he could in late april or early may, or that he'd press the precious little pink flowers that would flutter down from the trees in his school textbooks so they'd last forever.

he didn't even know why they were so special to him aside from their aesthetic properties, but there was something deeper there that even jisung himself couldn't explain.

until that day.

jisung couldn't stop thinking back on that moment in the hospital, staring into his pale reflection as the little pink blossoms escaped between his lips.

even as he sat in his math class, textbook opened to a page where he'd previously pressed a flower and a little pink stain was left behind, it only reminded him of the dreadfully sweet feeling of the cherry blossom petals gracing his tongue and falling into the sink.

he had an idea of what it meant. after all, he'd seen it play out with hyunjin, just a few days before. all the blood, the longing, the danger of hanahaki disease.

jisung scribbled down formulas and functions mindlessly as his brain ran 100 miles a minute thinking again about his circumstances, and how soon he'd be spitting up blood and-

"what? did you suddenly develop asthma?" a classmate sneered at jisung as he coughed into his hand, catching the single petal that flew out of his mouth so no one would see it.

"sorry." jisung apologized, not entirely sincerely, and not meeting his classmate's eyes so he could try to focus on concealing the baby pink petal in his palm.

"yeah. you should be. we're all trying to pay attention to the teacher and your loud ass coughing isn't helping."

jisung opened his mouth to defend himself against his classmate's sudden aggression, but he was cut off by his teacher.

"that'll be detention for the both of you for disrupting class. room 205 after school."

jisung averted his eyes as he felt the stare of several classmates on him. "understood, mrs.," he muttered.

🌸

jisung made his way to room 205 at the end of the day, pleasantly suprised to find chan and minho there.

"what're you doing in our physics class?" chan singsongly asked, oblivious to jisung's soured mood.

"detention." the younger replied, dropping his bag to the floor with a thump as he begrudgingly sat at one of the desks.

"hang on," minho said with his sly, cat-like grin, walking up to the teacher. jisung watched him approach the teacher's desk and casually lean against it with one arm, having a seemingly casual conversation with each other.

"minho is mrs. park's favourite." chan explained under his breath, arms crossed as he kept his voice down so the other students in detention wouldn't hear. "let's see what trick he pulls out of his sleeve this time."

"well," minho said as he turned around from the desk a few moments later. "time for our weekly tutoring session, jisung. i wouldn't want my favourite tutee falling behind in his classes." he winked.

jisung felt the tips of his ears get hot. that goddamn smile. "r-right! tutoring! forgot i had that today!" jisung nervously laughed, hoping he was selling the part.

mrs. park raised a brow at him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"jisung," minho said through clenched teeth, still maintaining his smile. "let's go. goodbye, mrs. park."