Chapter 16

Shepard listened quietly as SAM explained what he had found in Garrus's omni-tool.

"After you left the Citadel," SAM said. "Councilor Sparatus was given some information that should have been destroyed in Junhix."

"Information?" Shepard ask confused. "What information? "

"A clip that shows you unconscious and a small circle at the edge of the screen," SAM replied. "From what I gathered, Sparatus already knew that the circle was me."

"That's not possible," Shepard said in disbelief. "The only person that knew about that surgery was Alec and he wouldn't have trusted anyone else with that information."

"Which means that someone else did know and that person must have given that clip to Sparatus," SAM concluded. "I think its time to tell you about the research I've been doing since our operation."

"Cerberus," Shepard stated.

"Cerberus," SAM confirmed. "They are behind all of it."

SAM explained to Shepard how on Junhix, before her arrival, someone had approached Alec about funding his project on A.I research even though that research was illegal due to the Council Rules. The mysterious person had also told Alec about a candidate that will be traveling to Junhix undercover per their instructions. That this candidate had already agreed to take part in human and A.I experiment.

Alec had been beyond excited about the news and had agreed without hesitation. Shortly afterwards Shepard had arrived just like the mysterious man had predicted.

"I remember been approached by Alec not long after being assigned to the biotic research center," Shepard said recalling the event. "He said that he had a special project he wanted a few people to work on."

"All part of the plan," SAM replied. "That man already knew of your arrival and funded the project. It makes sense that that man may be responsible for the clip being sent to Sparatus and for Sparatus to give the Spectre a kill order... There's a lot to learn from your corpse."

"What's our next step?" Shepard asked. "This man obviously has connections to the Citadel and Cerberus. As I am now, I can't do much; not without exposing myself. Who knows who else has been given a kill order."

"Leave that to me," SAM replied. "I have a few leads. We just have to be careful. The real Vicki should be coming back in a week. I can feed the Spectres some fake leads to lead them away for awhile."

"It would make easier to move around without them poking around," Shepard agreed. "Besides the real Vicki been informed of the situation."

"First we need to know who gave the video to Sparatus," SAM said forming a plan. "I've been monitoring Councilor Valern activity since our departure. If anything is out of place, he would be the one to figure it out."

"When Vicki returns we can head back to the Citadel," Shepard commented. "Our best bet would be to connect to the Citadel's main frame directly to avoid detection."

"With the implants the Professor gave you, you shouldn't have any issues blending in," SAM agreed. "You're as good as new."

"Yes," Shepard said. "A robotic arm and 20 implants later, I'm looking like a new person."

"In the meantime, I'll keep searching for anything abnormal," SAM confirmed. "We'll send the Spectres on a wild goose chase and get the real Vicki situated before leave."

The next day Shepard continued her work at the clinic as if nothing had happened. They couldn't afford letting the Spectres know that Shepard had figured out that they were after her. As long as she kept playing the part of Vicki until the real Vicki showed up, the Specters wouldn't suspect a thing.

"Vicki," Professor Solus called from his office. "Can I see you a moment?"

Shepard put down the datapad and headed over to his office, the Professor looked busy as he walked around muttering to himself.

"Professor?" Shepard asked poking her head in.

"Yes, come in," he said. "I have bad news."

"Vicki, had to stay longer," he continued. "Family not doing well."

"That's too bad," Shepard replied crossing her arms over her chest. "It changes our plan a bit but nothing that we can't fix."

"Cerberus's involvement complicates things," the Professor replied. "Best to leave for the Citadel as soon as possible."

"There's already a plan in place to lead the Spectres away," Shepard said. "I'll take care of Vakarian and make sure he doesn't bother Vicki when she returns."

After her conversation with the Professor, Shepard sent a quick and vague message to Garrus telling him that she had to leave Omega for a family emergency. He didn't respond right away but when he did he was extremely concerned for her well-being. She told him that she was fine but that she wasn't sure when she would return. He even offered to take her to the transport but she refused saying that she didn't want to inconvenience him since he had been extremely busy looking for that woman. He reluctantly agreed and wished her good luck.

Shepard had SAM get them a ticket for the first transport leaving for the Citadel and began to pack her things. Shepard didn't have much since she had always packed light regardless of her living conditions.

"In two days, I'll leave some bread crumbs for the Spectres to follow," SAM commented. "They'll be distracted for a while. However, it won't be long until they're called back to the Citadel. By then we should have an idea of whom gave the clip to Sparatus."

"As long as everything goes according to plan," Shepard said. "But you do have a tenancy to make things go your way."

The next morning, Shepard woke up early got ready to leave. Professor Solus was waiting for her downstairs with a cab.

"Good luck," he said. "You know where to find me."

Shepard thanked the Professor for all of his help and for letting her stay with him even though he knew that there was a kill order out for her. He waved her help away and said it was a great experience for him.

"How does it feel to be back in action?" SAM asked as the cab made its way to the docking station.

"It's been too long," Shepard replied looking out the window. "I doubt I'm the same infiltrator that came to Omega 6 months ago. I am surprised that it took the Spectres so long to come to Omega. My departure was sudden but not hidden."

"Sparatus didn't want to get involved since everyone thought you were a hero," SAM replied. "It would look bad if he ordered the Spectres to look for you or keep tabs on you after they declared your innocence."

"Did he go public about the new information after I was gone?" Shepard asked curiously. "I understand why he wanted to find me but what changed so that the Spectres could come after me?"

"No one knows that they are looking for you," SAM answered. "Everyone thinks they are after a rogue Spectre."

"That's Sparatus for you," Shepard commented. "Always finding a way around to win."

"We'll beat him at his own game," SAM replied, confidently. "after all, I know his secrets."

Shepard smiled, "You know everyone's secret."

"It's what I was programmed to do."