Chapter 2

Shepard wasn't sure when she fell asleep but found herself stirring awake. She wasn't sure what woke her but she listened for anything out of the ordinary. Convinced there was nothing there, Shepard got comfortable again and closed her eyes. Then she heard it, a soft tickling sound. Shepard stood up slowly from the couch, grabbed a knife from the table, and as quietly as she could, Shepard made her way to the door and leaned her back against the door; waiting for it to open.

The door whooshed opened and the shadow of a turian appeared. It straightened up and stepped inside. Not waiting to see who it could be, Shepard grabbed the turian and pushed it forward onto the floor. Shepard straddled the turian from behind, twisted one of the arms behind its back, and grabbed his fringe twisting it to the side.

"Who sent you?" Shepard asked leaning in close for him to hear; the knife on his throat.

"Get off me!" the turian said, struggling.

Shepard pressed the knife harder. "Who sent you?!"

The turian growled and pushed off the ground, sending Shepard reeling back a bit losing her balance. It was enough for the turian to turn around and tackler her with speed only known to turians. Both of them struggled a bit to get the upper hand, but the turian finally managed to use his weight to push her underneath him. The turian pinned both of Shepard's arms between them. As much as she struggled, Shepard couldn't get free.

"If you're here to kill me," Shepard said, struggling. "Get on with it."

"I'm not here to kill you," the turian said in a strained voice.

Shepard stopped struggling and looked at the turian unsure whether or not to believe him.

"Why are you here?" Shepard asked. "Why are you breaking into my apartment?"

"I'm not breaking in," the turian said. "I-"

Shepard raised her eyebrow, only a fool would believe that.

"What apartment are we in?" he asked looking around.

"Four," Shepard replied still confused.

The turian leaned back a bit and gave Shepard back her arms, she propped herself up a bit and scooted as much as she could. She gave the turian a long look, as far she could see the turian had some sort of markings underneath his eyes; from one side of his face to another and down both sides of his mandibles. Shepard shifted a bit and grimace as the turian's armor bit into her soft skin. She had forgotten that she wasn't wearing anything underneath the hoodie.

"If you're not here to kill me," Shepard began, shifting a bit. "Then what are you doing here?"

"I wasn't trying to break in," the turian said once more. "A friend said I could stay in his apartment."

"Which apartment?"

The turian looked at his right palm and grunted, "It looks like a four."

Shepard grunted and didn't say anything else.

"Say," Shepard began after the turian didn't move and the armor began to start to become very uncomfortable. "Would you mind getting off me?"

The turian apologized, hurried to get off, and standing up. Shepard also stood and made sure her hoodie was pulled all the way down as far as it went.

"Sorry about earlier," Shepard said, a bit embarrassed. "I don't like strangers."

"It's my fault," the turian said. "I should've known better than to break into an unknown apartment."

"I'm Aster," Shepard said introducing herself; it seemed appropriate.

"Garrus," replied the turian. "Are you hurt?"