Chapter 23

Garrus couldn't sleep after seeing Aster alive and looking well. Although he still couldn't figure out how she managed to elude both Nihlus and himself for so long, he was glad to have spoken to her and seen her after so many months.

But that didn't matter now, he would do everything in his power to clear her name and to bring those responsible to justice. No way was she responsible for the accusations the Counselor had pinned on her. Seeing her made all of that clear.

Solana and this Mina human had asked for his help, how could he refuse them after seeing Aster? Any actions he took now would only benefit her in the long run. He might put his status as a Spectre in jeopardy but if he was right about helping them then it would expose those involved.

Garrus took another look at the video the Councilor had given him; the image didn't change it just showed Aster laying on the table connected to a lot of wires. There were no restraints visible. In order to help her, Garrus had to speak to Aster again and ask her to explain the video. He had to be sure. Mina had even openly admitted that Aster had an A.I inside her head; against her will, if he remembered correctly but he still had his concerns.

Garrus sent a quick message to Nihlus asking him to meet him at his apartment later tomorrow evening. By then he planned to have spoken to Mina and making her tell him all she knew about Aster and her whereabouts.

As soon as his alarm went off at 5 am, Garrus sent Solana a message saying that he wanted to speak to them again before he agreed to pull Aster's secure file. Solana sent a reply a few seconds later agreeing to meet up again. This time he would be going over to her apartment just to avoid any suspicion.

Garrus knew he had to be careful with whom he associated himself with during the investigation into Aster, the last thing he needed was for someone to think that he had gone rogue was also mixed up with Aster and the A.I accusations.

After he showered and got dressed Garrus stopped by Solana's favorite restaurant to pick up a few things. If anyone asked he was just buying snacks for his sister just like he always did.

"Mr. Vakarian," Vatina the pastry chef said seeing him as soon as he entered. "You're here for the usual stuff?"

"Of course," Garrus replied. "Don't forget those twist things filled with crème, those are her favorites."

"I'll make sure to add some extras ones for her," Vatina replied heading toward the back to prepare the snack box.

Garrus knew that he couldn't arrive at his sister's place empty-handed, he was always known to bring her some sort of treat. A few minutes later, Vatina came out with a closed box in her hands. From the aroma, Garrus to tell it was filled with all of Solana's favorite snacks. Garrus handed her his credit chit while he took the box from her.

"You're all set," Vatina said handing the credit chit back to him. "See you next week?"

"You bet," Garrus replied as he headed out the door of the bakery and made his way toward Solana's apartment.

When he arrived, Mina the human was waiting for him in the kitchen and there was no sign of Solana anywhere.

"She went to run an errand," Mina commented as though she had read his mind. "She'll be back in a few."

"However," she continued. "I think you really came to speak to me and not her."

"Only a few questions," Garrus replied putting down the box of sweets on the counter.

"What do you want to know?" Mina asked her demeanor not changing.

"How did Aster managed to stay hidden for so long?" Garrus asked. "I mean, I know she is an infiltrator but this is something else."

"It's her job to stay hidden," Mina replied like it was a simple answer. "When you want to disappear, you find a way to make sure no one ever finds you."

"And the A.I?"

"What about the A.I?" Mina asked like she was confused why he even asked.

"Did she willingly get attached to it?" Garrus asked almost holding his breath for her answer.

"Willingly?" Mina asked surprised. "Of course not! No one would willingly attach themselves to an A.I. Would you?"

"Why do you ask?"

"There's a video of Aster attached to something," Garrus replied bringing it up on his omni-tool.

Mina walked over and watched the video on his omni-tool, not saying anything for a long time.

"Is this it?" Mina asked. "All it shows is a person on a table connected to something. You can't even tell who that person is. This is what you're referring to? The evidence?"

"The Councilor thinks this is enough," Garrus mumbled, a bit ashamed that he didn't take a longer look at the video.

Now that Mina mentioned it, you really couldn't tell who it was on the table.

"Is this what caused you to doubt her?" Mina asked giving him a long look. "That's some shitty reason."

"Wouldn't you have if someone you trusted showed you this?" Garrus asked trying to think of something to say.

"No," Mina replied almost angry. "I don't trust many people for that reason."

"Is the interrogation over?" Solana called out as she entered the apartment. "I don't know how long I can stay out doing errands."

"You can come in," Mina called out stepping away from him. "We got everything figured out."

"Good," Solana said coming over to the kitchen. "I was beginning to think that helping Aster was not going to be possible with you two at each other's throats."

"I'm sure we would have managed," Mina said opening the box of sweets Garrus had brought over.

"Ooo is that what I think it is?" Solana asked coming over to the box as well. "You even remembered to get some of those cute twist-filled crème pastries."

"Those are for Solana," Garrus said slapping Mina's hand away from the twisted sweets. "You can have some of the other ones."

Mina looked at him in surprise.

"Didn't know you had it in you," she whispered as she went to grab a different sweet. "That gesture is something a human does."

Garrus ignored her and went to grab a sweet himself before the two women before him ate everything in one sitting.

"So," Solana said grabbing another sweet. "Have you decided whether or not you're going to help us?"

"Helping you is what helps Aster," Garrus replied in a serious voice. "It's the only way that I know of that will clear her name without any doubt."

"Good," Mina said. "We're going to need all the help we can get."