Chapter 24

The following evening, a group of 5 individuals gathered at Garrus's apartment trying to come up with a plan. A plan that wouldn't end in prison or worse death. Wrex, Solana, Mina, Garrus, and Nihlus huddled over the table as Nihlus laid out several datapads of information. Datapads that had been 'borrowed' for the time being.

"The file that we are looking for can only access by a Spectre and the Council," Nihlus was saying. "However, I believe that the Council will be on the lookout for anyone trying to access the file. We will need a way to access the file without them finding them out."

"If you can get me into the Citadel Tower I can download the files you need," Mina replied. "We'll have a limited window so we need to make every second count."

"We won't know what we need until we get in there," Garrus commented. "It'll be best if a two-man team extracts the file."

"Since you're the lead on this investigation you should take Mina and grab those files," Nihlus said. "They won't suspect anything if she's with you."

"In the meantime, Solana and myself will be hanging out by the Embassies," Nihlus continued. "We will be on a lookout and Wrex can-"

"Don't worry about me," Wrex interrupted. "I have my own plan."

"Why is he even here?" Garrus asked staring at the krogan. "I didn't realize we needed a mercenary to get the job done."

"This 'mercenary' knows more than you," Wrex growled.

"How about we concentrate on the task at hand? Mina interrupted, not wanting for Garrus to find out what Wrex meant.

"When do we do this?" Mina continued. "We can't arouse suspicion. Taking those files is not going to be an overnight thing. Citadel Tower is the most secure place on the whole station. Even if we wanted to it would take hours for me to hack into all the systems and find a way inside."

What do you think? Aster asked SAM as everyone stayed quiet.

If you can get me close, I can hack it, SAM replied with conviction that Aster didn't even feel.

"But not impossible," Solana said speaking up looking around.

She made brief eye contact with Mina.

It will take some time, SAM said. Hours, perhaps.

"Eh, not impossible," Mina replied slowly. "If I can get close enough, I can get those files but getting there and taking the files will take hours."

"What's so important about those files anyway?" Wrex asked flexing a bit.

"They contain the details of who gave the video to the Councilor," Garrus explained. "The video is what is framing Ast- Captain Shepard."

"If we find who it was, we can confront the accuser," Garrus continued. "Set things right."

"I'm all up for clearing the Captain's name but I don't think it's going to be as easy as you make it seem," Solana said shaking her head. "If you really think about this, only someone with high authority or a trusted individual could bring something like this to the Council and force them to take action."

"This goes beyond anything we have ever dealt with."

"You're thinking this is a coup?" Nihlus asked in disbelief.

He may be on to something, SAM commented. Who has the most to benefit from all of this? All of your missions are sanctioned by the Council. Imagine what will be said if this goes public and are found guilty of these charges?

But who would benefit the most? Aster repeated. Who would want the Council removed? For what purpose? Who would go through all this trouble?

"It's a possibility," Mina agreed. "Imagine what would happen if all of this news was released to the citizens of the Citadel?"

"If you take into consideration everything Captain Shepard has done under orders from the Council," Mina continued. "I can't imagine what will happen."

"I'm betting that every mission the Captain has done will also be exposed," Wrex inputted. "Not everyone is going to be happy about some of those missions. Especially those batarian bastards."

"They've never been happy since humanity beat them before the turians arrived," Mina commented. "Everyone knows that."

"Someone could take this as an opportunity to remove the current Council," Solana said. "If you can get enough support, it's possible to remove the Council."

"This is insane," Garrus said rubbing his neck. "How could this be happening?"

"Whoever is behind all of this has to have an agenda," Nihlus replied. "The sooner we figure out what it is the better but we can't know for sure who is behind this until we get Captain Shepard's file."

"We need those files," Solana said agreeing.

They're right, SAM said. Not even I have access to those files; I can't find anything. They're probably kept on a separate server.

They can never make it easy, huh? Aster asked. It's a safe assumption. If secrets were kept on the regular server, more hackers may want to try their hand at taking them.

I guess there isn't any other option, Aster continued.

Not one I can think of, was SAM's response. Those files may be our only hope.

"Alright," Mina said. "I'll do it. When are we planning on doing this?"

"The annual Council Ball will be occurring in two weeks," Nihlus said. "Most everyone will be preoccupied with preparations and security. I say that would be a perfect time."

"That's right!" Solana said excitedly. "I also received a notification about the ball; notification and invitation!"

"Alright," Nihlus said. "I got a plan. Solana and I will attend the ball while Garrus accompanies Mina to get the files-"

"Why can't you go with Mina?" Garrus interrupted. "You know the area better than I do."

"What's your problem with Mina?" Wrex asked a bit defensively. "It's obvious you don't like her."

"I don't have a problem," Garrus replied.

"Sure," Wrex stated not believing him.

Wouldn't you prefer him to know who you are? SAM asked as the room got quiet.

It won't change anything, Aster replied. It's not safe for anyone to know my identity. Once all of this is done, I might consider it.

"In the meantime," Nihlus continued breaking the awkward silence. "We will continue watching for any more reports on Captain Shepard and any changes with the Council. Any more questions or concerns?"

The five of them agreed to be in constant communication leading up to the heist.