Chapter 8

I had woken up with enough time to do my usual morning routine: rinse off my fresh fake tan I'd applied the night before, apply a full face of makeup and false lashes, straighten my naturally wavy hair, and pick out my clothes for the day. I tried my very best to never repeat an outfit, but with the school dress code being so strict and making half my wardrobe unwearable, I wasn't always one hundred percent successful. I usually managed to get away with wearing a similar outfit and switching up my shoes or handbag most days.

It was Monday morning, and it had been three days since I had realised that my need for Ava's attention ran a little deeper than I had ever intended it to. I had spent the weekend mulling the entire situation over in my head, and I was still no closer to an answer today than I had been on Friday afternoon. All I had come up with was this: avoid Ava as much as possible until the attraction disappears.

I grabbed my last season Louis Vuitton bag and put all of my texts books inside it, heading downstairs to have breakfast before I left for school.

"What is that?" my mothers voice of disgust came from the lounge room as I walked into the kitchen.

"What is what?" I asked nervously, looking down at the outfit I had so carefully picked out.

"That bag is well over twelve months old, and I bought you the latest Louis barely three months ago!" she all but shrieked, storming towards me and ripping the bag roughly off my shoulder. "It's insulting that you would continue to use this!"

"It fits all of  my textbooks," I tried to reason with her. "My school work was getting ruined in my purse and the books are too heavy to carry."

"Too bad!" she scoffed. "Beauty is pain, Marley Elizabeth. We do not dress for convenience in this family, you should know this by now."

She stormed upstairs and returned moments later with the newest purse she had bought for me, and thrust it into my arms. She turned my last season Louis Vuitton bag upside down and my text books went crashing onto the marble tiled floor, scattering my school work all throughout the kitchen.

"I'm so disappointed. I expected more from you," she said, before turning on her heel and sauntering back into the living room.

I skipped breakfast that morning, instead spending the time picking up my text books and cramming what I could into the new purse, carrying the rest that wouldn't fit. I left the house without saying goodbye, driving the short distance to school in silence.

I arrived at school early — much earlier than I normally would be, and instead of heading to my locker to put my books away I headed straight for the senior girls bathroom. I didn't acknowledge the janitor as she exited, instead pushing past her and slamming open one of the stall doors. I threw my purse and books on the cold tiled floor and sank down onto the closed toilet lid, letting my head fall into my hands.

Why was my mother so unnecessarily cruel? I knew the bag was last season, and I had hesitated momentarily this morning before grabbing it, but I was so over lugging my heavy textbooks around in my arms every day. I didn't think she would care that much, but apparently I was wrong. I should have known better.

I could hear students begin to fill the hallways as their muffled chatter got louder and louder, and yet I didn't move. I made no effort to get up and close the door to the stall I was in, but instead sat there silently, letting tears slowly make their way down my cheeks. I knew my makeup would be ruined, but I didn't care. The girls bathroom that I was in went unused most of the time, as it was a seniors only bathroom. However, I should've known I wouldn't be lucky enough to go entirely unseen.

Loud footsteps and a cheerful whistle pierced the otherwise silent bathroom as the heavy door swung open, and in came the one person I had told myself I would actively try to avoid: Ava Freeman. She walked past the stall I was in without noticing me, but before I could let out a sigh of relief the whistling stopped and she doubled back, her brows furrowed and her mouth turned downward in a concerned frown.