chapter eleven: birthday girl

setting tate's gifts down on the table, i take a seat hoping that she won't be too late. it's embarrassing having to wait for the other person to show. i fiddle with my fingers nervously as i glance around the room. did she sit somewhere else?

what am i going to do when she gets here? we haven't talked in so long, i don't even know what to talk about...

the waitress approaches me and i tell her that im waiting on someone. she raises her eyebrows with pity. come on man, im just fucking waiting for someone to show up, it doesn't mean im getting stood up.

i look down at my phone. ten minutes have passed. jesus, where is she?

to tater tot: hey where r u?? im at rise waiting

i stare at my phone for like five minutes, telling myself that she's about to answer. she doesn't.

it's fine, i'll just order something and she'll show up soon. when the waitress comes up to me again, i order a chocolate milkshake. she smirks at me as if to say i told you so. i grimace back at her. man why is this waitress so fucking rude?

another ten minutes and i start to panic. is she standing me up to get back at me? did i hurt her that much? i guess i was really an asshole to her. maybe i deserve this. or maybe something's just going on with her? my phone lights up and i pray the text is from her.

chris: how's the date with tate goin?

to chris: not a date. also she hasn't shown up ??

chris: haha dude u r getting stood up!

to chris: r u serious? do u actually think so

chris: ya man. me n ben are comin 2 rise anyway so we'll just sit with u so u don't look like a total loser !

wow how considerate! sometimes i genuinely can't tell if my band mates are being assholes or if they are actually this brain dead.

i order some fries and another shake while i wait for them to show. my chest feels tight as i think about tate and what she could be doing right now. is she laughing at me? is she with eric? i pray to god that she's not with him. that would be so fucking embarrassing. holy shit. my phone goes off again.

tater tot: hey im so sorry but i can't come. sum family shit is going on right now :(

to tater tot: it's ok, i hope ur ok ! happy bday tate

tater tot: thanks :) !!!!

well fuck me.

ben and chris walk through the door and wave at me.

"hey roddy!!" chris yells. a waitress shoots me some mean side eye.

they sit around me and start picking at my food.

"come on guys, get your own." i whine as ben dips one of my fries in my milkshake.

"okay we will." ben rolls his eyes. "WAITRESS CAN WE GET SOME MORE FR-"

i cut him off by elbowing him in the ribs.

"OWWWWW"

°°°

me and the guys hang out for like an hour before we decide to ask for the check.

"rodrick, are you sure you don't wanna come over?" chris asks, while he pulls out money for the tip.

"yeah man, im good. i think im just gonna take a nap. i got up pretty early to make this cd." i chuckle at the thought of how desperate i was to impress her.