chapter two: the basement

he hands me his lighter and as i reach out to grab it, i notice that my entire body is trembling. could be from the cold, or because im nervous...

"are you okay?" he asks me, obviously picking up on my shaking as well. "you're like.."

"shaking yeah i know." i laugh nervously.

"are you cold or something? do you need a jacket?" he eyes my outfit, a t-shirt and shorts. in forty degree weather.

i question whether or not i should accept, i don't know this guy. but he seems genuine and i am really cold so i might as well. i nod my head yes and he shrugs off his top coat.

"thanks" i mutter, putting it on. "i didn't really think i was gonna be outside much today."

"you probably still should have brought a coat." he laughs.

"yeah" i chuckle. he's moved closer to me, so i can really see his features. dark circles, slight acne, dimples, smudged makeup, chapped lips. wow. he looks like me. you can tell he's been out all morning by his stiff, pale hands. "what are you doing out by this bridge?"

"i could ask you the same thing," he tilts his head at me. "are you homeless?"

i roll my eyes, acting annoyed. a sort of a defense i've built up over the years. this makes him scoot further away from me. great, i hurt his feelings. i sigh quietly and grab a joint, lighting it. i inhale deeply and turn to face him, blowing the smoke all over him.

"what the fuck?" he laughs, picking up on the fact that i indeed do not hate him.

"do you want a hit?" i ask, holding up the joint. he grimaces at me.

"not particularly."

damn, so now he thinks im trying to drug him? he just saw me smoke it.

"alright." i shrug. "what are you doing hanging out here? you never answered me."

"didn't really feel like going to school. chem test. and you?" he leans back against the wall and crosses his legs. so he plans to stay.

"same here. so you're what? a senior?" i question, surely if he was in my grade i would have noticed him.

"nope, junior." he turns to face me, swallowing dramatically.  "you're not a freshie are you? i don't wanna encourage bad habits young."

i roll my eyes yet again, so now he's poking fun at my height. who does this man think he is?

"junior." i say before taking another hit. there's a moment of silence as he anticipates another blow to his face. "im kinda shocked that i haven't noticed you yet."

"ouch."

i immediately feel a little guilty.

"that's not how i meant it." i defend.

"you're fine. it's not like i've noticed you either." he says sarcastically.

great, now i feel like a bitch. this kid has obviously been meaning to spark a conversation with me and here i am using him for his lighter and telling him i never even noticed him. how kind of me. i sigh and rub my face. a gust of wind blows out my joint and causes me to shiver again.

"do you wanna go somewhere warmer?" he smirks at me.

is he-

"what are you insinuating?" i eye him suspiciously.

"th- that's not what i meant!" his face flushes bright red.

"oh okay." i laugh. "where did you have in mind?"