War

Boom.

The sound of the punching bag as it slammed against the steel cage of the boxing ring was deafening. It continued to roar around the room for a few moments, before slowing to a more flaccid stop. Hair fell into my face once again, which I fruitlessly brushed aside. My bones ached, my muscles cried out, but my mind was far too occupied to listen to their pleas. My seemingly unending anger fueled each and every one of my strikes.

I recoiled my leg once more, jutting it back out onto the bag. It groaned and shook, snapping to the side before slowly losing momentum and falling back to the ground. My breaths were rugged and labored as I passively let my hair fall in front of my face. Sweat listened from my skin as I let loose another series of jabs onto the bag.

He let her live.

After everything she did, Klaus let Aurora live. 'A fate worse than death' Hayley told me he had confined her to. Ergo, not dead. Meaning she could jump out at me at every turn. She tried to turn me human, to expose my past, hoping Klaus would run back into her arms. He didn't. So that means the only other viable option is to kill me. With her supernatural devotion, that will be her first move when she rises. Which I know she will. I'd be a fool to think otherwise. I thought he'd rip her head off for what she did to Cami and me.

It was crippling, the paranoia. I had all my defenses raised at every moment. I was preparing, almost every day, for a battle I didn't know the time of, nor had the means to survive. I changed my route home as if that would stop Aurora from killing me. Lord knew she would.

Was I worried for my life, or worried there was a reason why Klaus had kept her alive?

I had hardly any time to deal with my own paranoia as Klaus tried and failed to cope with his own. I mean, his whole sire line, a world of enemies, was free to kill him as they wished. So he rambled and he raved about killing them all. Hell, I hadn't seen him in three days, maybe. One can only take so much plotting. Which was all he spoke of whenever we talked. I tried to help him collect himself, but he was just unreachable.

I collapsed into a sweaty heap as I slammed my back against the cold, chain link fence. It was almost orgasmic, the relief I felt from the drastic change in temperature. Unfortunately, my calm wave of euphoria was replaced by the loud, heavy footsteps clanging through the room.

Klaus' smell of cedar wood and pine immediately infiltrated my presence. I turned towards him, wiping a bit of sweat from my brow. "Klaus," I mumbled.

"Emma- I need to talk to you," he muttered.

"About what?" I questioned. He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted him, "If I hear the word sire come out of your mouth, so help me god-,"

"What's bothering you?" He asked softly. I guess he was right. I was being... very short with him. And suddenly I found it hard to be annoyed. His eyes were earnest, and as he sat next to me and rested his hand on my knee, I could hardly even muster an eye-roll.

But Aurora...

I knew I should only be focused on my anger, but it was hard to be angry. I'm furious. I'm so, incredibly angry. I wanted to yell, but something stopped me. Why should I feel guilty for confronting him about his own misdoings?

"Nothing. I'm fine. Just tired," I responded. Damn. Damn it all to hell. I was such a idiot. I'm not going to fold because of some skin to skin contact. Perhaps I'd just yell his ear off the moment we were alone, and in a more private place.

"I'm not an moron, what's wrong?"

"I'm not so sure about the first part-."

"You know what you are?" He questioned, squinting his eyes in my direction. I watched his lip twitch as he tried not the smile.