I Promise

DON'T PLAY THE SONG UNTIL I TELL YOU HOE BAG

I stared at myself in the mirror. Lucien was long gone when I had awoken that morning. I think, thanks to my hybrid nature, the venom was taking much longer to kick in. However, that didn't prevent the incessant burning sensation on my shoulder. Nor did it stop the euphoric feeling that rattled around in my chest with every breath I took.

Despite the truly soul-crushing fear I felt as I stood at death's door, I couldn't get my smile off my face. I felt high. I knew there were no positives in my situation, yet I was smiling. Perhaps it was the ridiculous irony of it all. I'd fought for my life against Aurora, swearing up and down that she was not going to kill me. And then the second I got home, her lover did me in. Karma is more than a bitch.

When I began my trek to the Mikaelson Compound, my legs felt like lead. Weightless, yet so heavy. But, still, I wasn't in nearly as bad shape as Finn had been. Just indescribably tired. I wonder, how long would I last? I wonder... would we be able to find a cure? Deep down, I doubted it.

The people I passed on the streets sent me odd glances. I'm sure I looked like death. I couldn't stop shaking. Maybe I'm in shock. Lord knows I should be more terrified than I am right now. I don't feel death looming over me. But I guess I'm in the early stages of the infection. I didn't doubt it would get worse as the hours crept by. But at this rate, I guess I have maybe three days. At this point, Finn was seizing uncontrollably, unable to breathe. Here I was, though, walking just fine, feeling nothing but tired and looking a little pale.

When I arrived at the compound, I raised my fist to rap on the door. However, it was completely open. I frowned in confusion. Lucien is out, wandering around. Why in fucks sake would they leave the door open?

Just as I was about to voice my concern to whoever was inside, I heard talking upstairs. I invited myself inside and walked upstairs. I took a sharp right and entered the study. Freya, Klaus, Hayley, and Cami sat inside, whispering amongst themselves. I felt uneasy immediately upon entering the room. There was a somber air to the room, comparable to the one you'd feel in a hospital.

"Guys?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. Heads turned towards me like I'd disturbed some top-secret meeting. I was even more confused when I met Klaus' eyes, filled to the brim with guilt. "What's going on?"

I heard Cami take a sharp, raspy breath. I snapped my head towards her and frowned. She looked sickly. Pale, sweaty. That's when I saw her wrist. Her soft skin was distorted, sporting a bite, similar to mine. However, it was angrier, redder, with mucus and froth bubbling at the surface.

Reality hit me like a freight train.

Cami and I had been bitten. Meaning, if we didn't find a cure in time, Cami would likely be dead by day's end. And soon, I'd follow suit. Panic swept across my face as I grasped my shaking hands into fists, "Oh, my god." I whispered. I stared wide-eyed. I couldn't find the words to tell her how sorry I am. It was ineffable, the way I felt. Helpless and confused, but so desperate to comfort her.

Telling any of them about my bite was immediately out of the question. Cami was the one who had a shorter timer. If the attention was divided between the both of us, there'd only be more panic and less reason. Cami was the main priority. I'd simply wait until she was cured, or until she... No. I couldn't think about the latter. I valued Cami over myself any day, and her situation was far more perilous than mine. There's no point in adding myself to the mix.

In my shock, Klaus strode past me and took a seat next to Cami. He held some sort of paste, which he pressed to her wrist as he cautioned, "This may hurt." Cami cringed, and a low sizzling secreted from the wound.