Interrogation

Hayley had come back. Something I'd heard early that morning. I'd been out of the Mikaelson loop ever since Dahlia was dealt with. I wanted to see her, but she never picked up her phone. I was planning to visit her later, see how she was doing. I mean, luckily, she had her daughter now. And apparently the vacant apartment next to the compound. So, until I could see her, I researched.

Lucien Castle. Well, according to google, he was some land developer with no shortage of money, living a playboy lifestyle. He'd donated to at least a dozen charities, and had spent the better half of 85 million dollars buying old vacancies in New Orleans. But why?

Why are you here, Lucien? You were the first of Klaus' sireline. Came from nothing and created everything. Built up a name for yourself. Got money, power, influencer. Just like Epstein, though, you're hiding a devastating secret. And the world is completely blind to it. Your name had popped in and out of relevance throughout history.

But who are you, really, Lucien Castle? And why are you here?

My phone began ringing next to me, and I closed my laptop and picked it up. When I noticed Cami's caller ID, the faintest grin covered my face.

"Cami, did you find anything?" I questioned almost exactly when I picked up.

"More like someone," She responded. There was a pause on the other end, "Come to the NOLA police department. They've got Lucien in custody,"

__________

The dreary, underfunded police department was almost as worse as it could get. I swear, every single surface looked like it had never been washed in ten years. Grime coated the doorknobs of the interrogation room. And even as I looked at Lucien from the other end of the double sided mirror, I could help but feel unnerved by the pale light and the dismal mood.

"Mr. Castle. Thought you might want to see this," The detective, officer Kinney, spoke. He slid a thin folder towards Lucien, who brought it closer to him.

He reached his hand forward, opening the folder and glancing down at some of the crime scenes. He didn't flinch, he didn't even seem surprised. He kept his face calm and collected. The worst part was that he had every reason too. He was a vampire. If he really wanted to, he could kill Kinney and not even break a sweat. But he didn't.

"Hun, I read about this," Lucien spoke, closing the folder, "Oh, those poor men," he rubbed a hand down his stubbled jaw. He tried to give the illusion of being disappointed, but I don't think Kinney fell for it. I heard Vincent and Cami speaking behind me, whispering about the way Lucien was holding himself. The mirror and wall that separated Lucien and I felt all too thin.

Lucien studied the pictures for a few more moment. His eyebrow quirked and he spoke, "Solid gold cuff links, Bulgaria watches. Such ostentatious displays of wealth. No doubt attracted the attention of some vile criminal element,"

"You seem to know a lot about the case," Kinney spoke, analyzing each of Lucien's movements, "Big fan of true crime?"

Lucien wasn't putting up with the questions. He held his hands together in front of him, almost demanding the attention of the room. He chuckled a breathy chuckle and spoke, "Look at my watch, Mr, Kinney. My cuff links. But for a twist of fate, one of those faces might be mine,"

We both know that's not true.

"Oh, you seem real frightened by the prospect," Kinney spoke, retracting the folder that sat in front of Lucien. He took a deep breath and sat forward, studying Lucien almost as much as Lucien studied him. Hands clasped in front of him, Kinney spoke, "You know, in my experience, people like you don't believe in fate. They make their own luck. Weather it's good... or bad.