3.

000d, 00h, 27m, 36s

000d, 00h, 27m, 35s

000d, 00h, 27m, 34s

"—Hey!" Aiden's consistent snapping, combined with the sound of his voice, had my head quite literally snap up to look at him. "You're still with us, right?" He asked in a mocking manner, biting his tongue as a grin spread across his face.

Without thought, my eyes flickered to the gradually decreasing countdown on my wrist one last time before they fell back on him, eyes rolling at the same time.

Though, Olivia managed to get a word in before I had the chance to.

"Jesus, you know what day it is— I know you weren't any better the day your countdown ran out," The blonde huffed in annoyance, her tight curls framing her face as she shook it frantically.

"Actually, I was doing just fine; thank you very much." One hand ruffling through his naturally red hair, he crinkled his nose at the words, only making the girl break out into a smile.

"Lies! Eniola told me—"

Knowing the events she was referencing, I chuckled lightly at the thought as I watched the two bicker on and on.

"—We're not even going to get into that, Olivia!"

"What? Why not? I'm sure it would help Amidelle immensely to hear that story—"

This time, it wasn't his own protesting that cut her off but rather his flat hand on her face, pushing it away with a proud smirk playing on his lips. Perplexed, she leaned back into her seat, brows knitted together in confusion as her eyes flickered back and forth between Aiden and me.

With a humorous snort, my gaze fell on my wrist again, and the careless smile on my lips faded slowly.

000d, 00h, 25m, 20s

They both noticed.

Olivia quickly broke the silence that fell over our table. "How much longer?"

"25 minutes," I shrugged, lips twitching into a forced smile— I wasn't sure why I was forcing it. I shouldn't be.

After all, there was no need to be worried. The System always worked.

"You think it'll be someone from work? 22 minutes; that's right before your break is over?"

I nodded, a little impressed by Aiden's observation.

"What?" He scoffed. "I can be a good friend when I want to be." Olivia rolled her eyes, head falling to the side as she did so, not being able to hide the smile creeping onto her features.

"Well, I'd assume so, right? Maybe someone new—?" My voice was filled with uncertainty, and I shrugged carelessly in hopes that would cover it up. Though, I don't think it did.

"I sure hope so; just imagine how frustrating it would be if you found out you've been working at the same place for months, or even years— oh god."

A singular, dry laugh escaped my mouth at her words, mostly because it would, indeed, be frustrating beyond belief.

Aiden's head was resting on the white table in front of him, eyes peering up at me lazily. A small smirk found itself on his lips.

"Eniola told me you weren't nervous?" He asked, eyes diverting and now roaming the large hall we were sat in, head still resting on the oval table.

"I'm not," I sighed, my eyes wandering down to my wrist once again.

000d, 00h, 21m, 01s