02 The Young (2/5)

The crystalline halls enchanted Amore. Its shimmering luster across the constructs of the castle filled her with the imagination walking through a bejeweled palace that should exist only in fabled stories. Did she truly hail from a magnificent place like this?

"You're going to love what I have prepared for you," Cadance said with an ounce of giddiness escaping her voice. "I cooked all the dishes that you used to make for me when I was a little foal."

"Ah, so I know how to cook," Amore said. "That is assuring. It would be a shame if I couldn't provide for my daughter."

"Your casserole was to die for. I still can remember the time when I snuck in the frigid pantry to gobble the leftovers." Cadance brushed the back of her head and giggled. "I'm sure I was difficult to manage. My old nanny went crazy over all the shenanigans I pulled."

"Nonsense, I expect a little misadventure of the young. Parenting is a journey of its own kind."

"I couldn't agree more."

They eventually entered the dining hall of the castle. A long table sat in the middle was mostly vacant of creatures except for Shining Armor and Flurry Heart seated at an end.

"Oh, you're finally back," Shining Armor said after spoon-feeding Flurry Heart. "That took longer than expected."

"Was I gone for too long?" Cadance said as she and her mother took a seat near them. "I'm sorry. Time seems to fly by when I'm with mother."

"She was only two halls down," Shining pointed out. "Let me guess, you took the scenic route, didn't you?"

"There's a scenic route?" Amore asked. "Are you certain? I found nothing grand during our walk. Well, grander than the crystals around."

"Anyway," Cadance changed the subject. "Mother, try the casserole I've prepared. It tastes just like how you used to make it."

"My, that is quite the bold claim to make," Amore observed a slice of Cadance's cooked casserole on a plate before her. Its amalgamated layers of cheese, scrambled eggs, and vegetables released charming steam into her snout, enticing Amore's belly.

"It's not often you cook," Shining said, feeding Flurry another spoonful of her casserole. "I think it's been some months since I've ever seen you in the kitchen."

"Oh, don't be pouty," Cadance said. "This is a special occasion."

Shining sighed and moved the spoon from Flurry's constant lunges. "Of course, Honey. Though it was a rare sight to you in that polka dot apron I bought you long ago. Reminds me of our time at my mother's kitchen."

"You two have cooked together?" Amore asked. "That's so adorable."

"Yeah," Cadance said, averting her gaze from her mother. "You could say that."

Flurry suddenly became restless, shuffling about in her highchair to reach the table. Amore noted the young princess staring at her with curious eyes. Shining settled the filly back on the highchair and rubbed her cheek.

"Don't move around like that, Flurry," Shining warned. "You can play with Granny Amore after breakfast."

"She's a tenacious little one, isn't she?" Amore said.

"Flurry is very expressive," Cadance said. "It's a good thing her Crystaller taught her control of her magic. The first few months were utter chaos."

"I'm aware foals can be erratic with their magic. Surely it wasn't that bad?"

"It sure was," Shining confirmed with a nod. "Our Flurry jeopardized the security of the castle numerous times with her magic."

"That day when she made all of our guards fall for each other is still vivid in my memories," Cadance said. "It happened the day after I read her a romantic story about the prince frog and mare."

"I didn't enjoy that one." Shining deadpanned.

"At least there was a silver lining to all of it. Sunburst taught her to undo all accidents she has caused. It's because of that her control of her magic has improved."

"Our home just so happened to be a victim of her misadventures for it to happen," Shining added. "But enough about that. Princess Amore or uh... Mother? What should I call you?"

"Mother is fine," Amore said after taking a bite of her casserole. "You are my son-in-law. I expect nothing less."

"Wow, I'm honestly surprised how easily you are taking things."

"Barely anything can faze mother," Cadance proudly said. "It's why she's such an outstanding leader. She has this aura around her that makes ponies feel safe and comfortable to share anything with her."

"Am I now?" Amore asked. "That is quite the talent to live up to. I would be lying if I said I was not anxious to disappoint you."

"Don't worry, mother," Shining said. "All you need to worry about is recuperating yourself one day at a time. Speaking of which, what do you have planned for today?"

"Well, none of my memory has yet to come back to me. I was hoping to take a stroll around the Empire. Perhaps there is a place that could procure a trigger. However, I'm not sure how I will feel about being stared at by every pony."

"I could come with you," Cadance offered. "It can a mother-daughter date. It'll be just like we used to do at nights before you blanketed me to bed."

"As nice as that sounds," Shining said. "I'm afraid that won't be possible today. You recall that you have a meeting with the dragons and changelings for the afternoon, don't you?"

The excitement that suddenly kindled Cadance's face had dulled. "Ugh, you mean the trade agreements. Can't you take care of it for me?"

Shining shook his head. "Not possible. I promised Flurry to take her to the indoor playground today. To break a promise to my daughter would be the greatest dishonor to a stallion."

"How about we trade spots then?" Cadance suggested. "I'm sure Thorax would be thrilled to speak with-"

"Cadance," Amore's voice halted her daughter. "It'll be okay. There will be other times for us to spend together. I don't plan on leaving you again. So please honor your duties as Princess."

Cadance raised her hoof before she would attempt a counter. However, her voice fell silent and then sighed. She frowned at her mother's gentle smile. "Okay, mother."

"Thank you, Cadance. And while you are attending to your duties, I shall assist Shining at this indoor playground."

"You hear that, Flurry," Shining spoke to Flurry. Her sky blues eyes trained on Amore. "Your grandmother is coming with us to the playground."

Flurry made rowdy shuffles in her seat. If not for the safety belt strapped on the highchair, the filly would have pounced upon grandmother by now. Flurry groaned in frustration in her endeavor to escape her seat.

"Flurry, calm down," Shining told her. "You're going to push the chair over."

"Why not let her out?" Amore suggested.

"You sure about that? I think it's obvious what Flurry plans to do if she goes free."

"I know," Amore chuckled. "And I'm quite fine with it."

Shining paused briefly on Amore's words and then shrugged. He undid the belts on Flurry, prompting the little princess to soar and descend upon Amore. Flurry's grandmother welcomed the filly with open arms, giggling at her constant squirming in her hooves.