04 The Shadow (1/4)

Amore could not see through the mist around her. Not only was it too dense to make out her own form, but the air was thick to breathe in.

Amore had traversed through the unknown whiteness that felt like a catacomb, for hours. She struggled to keep herself awake; afraid she might forget the paths she has taken. However, her body gradually failed her, often picking herself up from the stone floor.

If Amore doesn't find a way out soon, she may find herself a permanent resident of this place.

The thought of death disturbed Amore. It was too soon when she had so much to live for. Amore wanted to enjoy a long life with her family. To watch her adventurous granddaughter, grow into a fine mare. To unravel the love story between her daughter, Cadance, and Shining Armor. To be acknowledged as Radiant's best mare when she finally ties the knot with Sombra.

Amore knew it in her heart Sombra was never going to make the first move.

Amore used her hope as timber to kindle her heart aflame. She refused to drown in despair when she loved ones who waited years for her return. She refused to deprive herself further of their life.

Amore used the stone on the walls to guide her. She would often find a large gap in between that led to a new path to venture in. Hopefully, she may happen upon the exit.

Amore held concerned she was leading herself deeper within the catacomb. This place felt like an endless maze. She had nothing on her person to keep track of her steps, especially with this thick mist clouding her vision.

"None of that," Amore told herself. "I'm going to get out of this place."

Though she desired to be optimistic, Amore could not think of a fair resolution to save herself. Randomly walking through the catacomb was not particularly ideal, but she held no alternative. Her magic was strangely absent, and no pony has yet to respond to her calls. The latter made sense. A bleary passage like this would deter any traveler from entering. Which begged the question:

How did she end up here in the first place?

Amore found no incentive that would draw her to this place. Who in their right mind would risk themselves getting lost in this dreadful place? Well, Amore guessed she would have to add herself to that list.

However, Amore had to admit there was a sort of familiarity with this place. Not the mist, but the stoned walls she used as guidance. Its smooth surface was stained with a strange powder that trembled through her coat. Amore imagined she would find it abhorrent, but for some unknown reason, it felt reassuring. As if she knew the powder would protect her.

But from what?

"Amore," a voice echoed through the path. Amore halted at the sound, unsure whether to be anxious or relieved. "Where have you gone? Please, come back to me."

Amore took a step back. The voice ricocheted through the catacomb, echoing all around her. She had no way to tell where it originated from.

If the two continued to traverse the catacomb, however, eventually they may come face to face. She would have to leave it to the whims of lady luck whether that would be a good thing.

Not a very uplifting thing to hold onto.

"Amore," the voice beckoned for her again. Though this time it felt warm to Amore's ear. It was strange to describe, but Amore found it similar to the icky powder stained on the walls. "Please, come back to me. I need you."

Amore took a step forward. The voice miraculously became clearer to her. She could trace its direction despite its random bounce through the catacomb. Amore wanted to question how it was possible, but a new resolve took the forefront of her mind.

Amore believed she may know this voice. The soft bass in its call elated Amore's, confused heart. However, she couldn't understand why. She couldn't explain anything about this predicament. But Amore knew she needed to find this pony behind this voice.

As the voice continued to call for her, Amore persisted through the catacomb to close the distance. At first, she was slow and cautious in her steps; but gradually, her pace doubled and then tripled. And then she abandoned the stone walls and galloped forth. How she eluded her face from the stone walls she could not explain, but she didn't care as long as she could find the bearer of that voice.

She discovered it resounding from a dark hazy door her eyes could barely make out. She pressed her hoof upon the door. It was heavy and resounded an eerie creak that allowed Amore to question her action one last time.

What if this is a trap? Amore thought. Her mind weighed between her anxiety and anticipation. She took a breath and pressed forward. Then I will face it head-on.

Amore discovered a place she could only presume to be a chamber. A thick cyan hue shimmered through the mist. The shimmers rounded the walls, revealing the circular frame of the chamber.

She approached the light and rubbed her hoof across it. The texture was all Amore needed to know to unravel the material. It's crystal. One that instills her with harmony she would find only at the Crystal Palace.

What part of the palace was this place? Amore wouldn't think the others would permit a hazardous place like this to exist among them. She presumed this section was a restriction. And based on the setting, Amore deduced this place existed underneath the palace.

When she finished her deduction, a red light suddenly beamed at the edge of her sight. It was a small singular light she did not recall seeing the first time she entered.

Her curiosity got the better of her.

Amore approached the red light that lay on the opposite end from the door. The light revealed the edges of a gem it resided in. This was the only thing she could see so clearly, a ruby.

Amore peered within its interior. She did not know what she hoped to find, but she was fascinated regardless. For what reason would there be a single ruby here in this foggy catacomb surrounded by crystals?

From its crystalline facets, Amore could find a reflection of herself. That surprised her. Not only could it reveal itself within the mist, but it could also reveal everything around her.

Amore could piece out the chamber clearly through this reflection. There appeared to be tapestries on the ceiling that showed encroaching darkness riddled with ghostly white eyes. A crystal-shaped heart beamed from the center, appearing to strike fear into the dark creatures.

"What is that?" Amore wondered, placing a hoof on her chest. "Why do I feel malice in my heart?" Amore's skin quivered and her head grew light. She couldn't tell if it was either from the mist she's been breathing in or this newfound rage welling up within her.

She took a deep breath, desperate to calm herself. The last thing she wanted was to stress herself even more. There was so little she remembered about her world and the role she played in it. She doesn't need to figure this out when she has her family and friends to fill in the gaps for her.

After she escaped this place that is.

Amore concluded her best course was to take the ruby with her. Seeing that it can reveal her surroundings, may increase her odds of escape.

Amore dug her hoof into a crevice surrounding the ruby and applied pressure. With a bit of force, Amore popped out the ruby and held it on her hoof.

It's a bit smaller than she imagined. It barely covered a quarter of her hoof.

She looked through the reflection again and was relieved the ruby could still show her through the mist. Fresh new timber of hope fueled her confidence.

But shouldn't there also be something else in this place? She could have sworn she heard a voice within this chamber.

And just as the thought crossed her, Amore found a silhouette standing before her.

Amore jumped back, but it was a fruitless effort. The silhouette came upon her and filled her vision with darkness. It happened so fast that she had no time to ponder.

"Amore," the voice said. "You've found me."