iii. brothers

"Maglor," Maedhros murmured lowly, shaking his brother awake. The twins were gone, but Elmarë was still sleeping soundlessly at the corner with the warm blankets Maglor had given her and her brothers prior.

"Maglor, the twins have gone," Maedhros spoke, still shaking his brother. Maglor tensed at the statement, his back straightened, and woke from his elven-sleep. Maglor asked, "The sister?" The eldest pointed towards the blankets, where a lump sat, with silver hair spilling out, "Hurry, they shan't leave their sister."

Both he and Maedhros rushed outside the camp until they heard a wail near the forest by the temporary camp. They exchanged glances and immediately rushed to where the wail sounded.

Elmarë snapped her eyes open. Elros' wail she heard sounding not faraway. Did the sons of Fëanor broke their promise? She scrambled to her feet and ran outside the tent. She ran and saw a flicker of red hair not far from her.

Maedhros and Maglor searched for the Peredhil in the woods when another wail broke. Maglor soon found them, with Elros' leg, bent into an unnatural position, a rock nearby. The red-haired elf glared at them, as his brother kneeled to check the broken leg.

Elmarë turned her head, her untied silver hair swinging as she desperately seek her brothers. "Elros? Elrond?" she whispered. Not far, a whimper resonated, and she sprinted to the source, afraid. Afraid, for her brothers.

Elros whimpered as he forcefully moved away from Maglor, frantic visible in his eyes. Maedhros scowled as Elros kept moving away from Maglor, who was slowly getting frustrated.

She dashed, her form hitting branches and leaves, as she lifted her simple dress while sprinting until her sharp silver eyes caught Maedhros' fiery red hair. She jumped and ran faster, until finally, Maedhros came to sight, with Elrond and Maglor kneeling by Elros' side.

Maedhros straightened when he heard rustling by the trees, his hand on the hilt of his sword tightly, until he saw silver hair, his hand loosened. Elmarë emerged, looking worn from her run, leaves sticking to her dress, and heavy breaths.

"Elros!" exclaimed she, leaping over to kneel by her little brother's side. She tucked her long silver hair behind her pointed ears as her silver eyes scanned worriedly and quickly over the bent knee that Elros supported.

Her brows shot upwards, "That is a sprained knee, Elros. What did you do?"

Elros was crying then, he had never had such injuries before, hence, it was a great pain to him. He answered, "We—we were trying to find some f-food." Elmarë had a worried frown on her face as she turned towards Elrond, who nodded in confirmation.

Maedhros felt like a fool as he listened to the children. Undoubtedly they would feel hunger due to their mortal lineage. His brother frowned, "You could have asked us, child."

Elros continued sobbing as he shook his head. Elmarë sighed and inquired, "Can you stand, brother?"

"I can carry him, if you like," Maglor offered cautiously. He knew, what a worried elder sibling could do in this situation. Elmarë inclined her head, "Please. I do not wish to inflict any more pain on my brother."

She paused, then threatened with a dangerous gleam in her eyes, "But if you hurt him, I will avenge it." The dark-haired Fëanorion nodded and slowly lifted Elros to his back.

When they were at the camp, Maglor sat Elros at his bedroll and treated for it. While Maedhros asked his soldiers for food for the children. Elmarë sat at the corner of the tent, eyes watching Maglor's every move as she plucked her harp, Elrond curled beside her.

When the tent's flaps flickered and Maedhros entered the tent, holding three lembas in his hand. He seemed uncomfortable as he kneeled to Elrond and Elmarë. Elrond grabbed it and began eating it quietly, as Elmarë grabbed her's carefully.

"Thank you," she said. She nudged her brother with her elbow. Elrond glanced up to meet Maedhros' eyes, frightened, and stammered, "Th-thank you."

Maedhros inclined his head, and gave Elmarë another bread, "This is for your brother when my brother finished treating his sprained knee. He shan't move around much."

She blinked, then thanked him once more. He seemed to be more uncomfortable as the siblings thanked him, and he stood and left the tent.

He scouted the area, searching for any signs of Gil-galad's men. As he stood at a fallen tree trunk, hooves were heard to him and darted to the camp to alert them of the appearance of one of Gil-galad's troops.

An observer.

"Pack up camp!" He shouted, running to his tent to take the children and his brother. "Gil-galad's forces are near."

He flapped his shared tent and began packing his things, "We must make haste to Amon Ereb, brother. Gil-galad's forces are watching us." Maglor turned, "Must we? I am sure that they will not risk an attack while Elwing's children are here?"

Elmarë was listening to them with furrowed brows, concentrating, she spoke, "They are here for us, aren't they? I don't think they have a Silmaril to exchange us with. That is your purpose of keeping hostage of us, is it not?"

Maglor seemed to contemplate it, but Maedhros ignored her and continued, "I do not think they will, but we cannot risk that," he turned, "We have lost many men, Macalaurë, and I do not want to lose more."

Maglor tensed at the use of his mother-name and the reminder of the loss of their men, as he nodded stiffly. "We leave by mid-day," Maedhros informed, purposefully switching to Sindarin so that the twins would understand, his hand on the hilt of his sword as he exited to talk with his herald.

...

They were in the same position as they were the prior day; the twins seated with Maglor and the elder sister with Maedhros. As they started their gallop with a head start, more than a dozen of Gil-galad's forces emerged by the forest, racing by the House of Fëanor's men to get to their lords.

Both Fëanorions urged their steeds to move faster, but Gil-galad's troops were ahead. Finally, Maedhros pulled his reigns to a halt. Gil-galad's archers all directed their arrows towards Maedhros as he, and Maglor descent their steeds, pulling along the Peredhil.

"Release the children!" One of them demanded.

Maedhros stared at Elmarë from his lashes, and answered, "Give us the Silmaril and we will." The House of Fëanor's men were too pointing their arrows toward Gil-galad's.

"You are in no situation to bargain!" they shouted.

The eldest son of Fëanor raised an eyebrow and grabbed Elmarë, pinning her with his stump as a dagger was put at her throat. Elmarë twitched, happy that he was keeping his promise. Almost immediately, all arrows were aimed at Maglor, and in addition, Elrond and Elros.

Elmarë yelped from below Maedhros' grasp, terrified that the arrows were pointed towards her brothers, "You will not hurt my brothers!" While Maedhros was slowly turning angry, "I will not hesitate should you harm my brother."

The archers glanced at each other, then slowly lowered their bows. Maedhros lifted Elmarë then swung himself to his horse, the dagger still pressed against her throat, "Tell Gil-galad that the children will remain with us so long we don't have the Silmaril."

He then urged his steed, with Maglor, and the others following behind. When they were far away enough, Maedhros sheathed his dagger and released Elmarë. She turned to glance at him, a tear running down her cheek, "You kept your promise."

"I did," answered Maedhros shortly.

"Thank you. I-I understand your anger when your brother was aimed with arrows. My-my brothers were there too. I th-thought that they were going to release the arrows," Elmarë spoke, staring at her brothers who sat with Maglor at another steed.

Maedhros nodded solemnly.