xviii. of history

Celair Valad-dir was one of the most renowed angels during the Years of the Trees. He was of elven descent that came from the Moriquendi, the dark elves— the book read.

Elmarë stayed quiet as questions rang through her mind. She remembered the word Valad-dir, which meant Balrog-slayer.

She have never heard of an angel balrog-slayer before, for all she heard was the tales of Glorfindel and his sister, who defended Gondolin against Balrogs, and of Ecthelion, the Lord of the House of Fountain, who struck down Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs.

Gothmog, who once had killed High King Fingon in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

She had never read a book that contained the history of the angels before, though since she was a small little elfling, she was always so fascinated by them.

Despite Elwing trying her hardest to prevent her from being interested in the angels who fought along with the Sons of Fëanor, Elmarë still found her ways to hear tales of them from passing minstrels, or refuging travelers.

Hearing tales of brave men and women who had strong, large wings connected to their back, whom rode upon dragons, raining their fire on who should wrong them.

And as she sat on the cloth that covered the earth below her, reading, the chattering of both Elrond and Elros filled her ears, pulling her out of her reverie.

"No! I will be the High King Fingon and you will be the ugly orcs!" Elros laughed as he chased after his brother, swinging his wooden toy sword up and down.

Elmarë fondly smiled at them when Celethtár sat himself beside her. "Youth is beautiful, yes? I wish we can live peaceful lifes since we were young," he mused, leaning his body on one hand.

Elmarë tilted her head to look at the angel in confusion, who merely smiled sadly at her, as if knowing and sensing her confusion.

"Hallerin was exploited when I was younger, you know? It was 86 years ago, if I am not mistaken. During that time, we were poor and some of the civillians were malnourished due to the corruption that reached Hallerin. My father was still the crown prince at the time, and it was his mother who worked for Morgoth," he began.

Celethtár fiddled with his fingers, frowning down, "My grandmother worked for Morgoth in promise for power after my grandfather perished after the Dagor Bragollach."

"Your grandmother...?"

"Unfortunately," he remarked quietly. "I used to be ashamed of my heritage when I was younger for her past yet unforgiveable and unforgetable actions."

Elrond and Elros' chattering had stopped as they noticed their sister becoming interested in a story the angel prince was telling her. They abandoned their toys and sat on Elmarë's sides, each.

Celethtár smiled at them briefly, before continuing the story, "Our people lost all trust and respect for the royal family, but that was only fair for what she've done. But my father stood, and fought against her in a great fire battle, it was only then revealed, that she was ensnared by a play of Morgoth's sorcery, for she was fading and it was easy for the The Fallen to make use of her."

"Morgoth? The same one who Lúthien put to sleep in her quest?" Elrond questioned. And the same one who hung Maedhros from Thangorodhrim, Elmarë mused sadly.

For as much as the pain he had given her and her people, Elmarë did not feel that one deserves such cruelty, with the exception of Morgoth himself.

"Yes, the very one," said Celethtár.

It was silent for a while, as they processed Celethtár's past, before Elmarë spoke quietly with a grateful smile upon her lips.

"Well, I am glad that your father stood up against the Fallen Valar and helped creating a better place for the young. For I, as an elder sister, would sacifice my life for my brothers' safety and happiness."

"So Elros, Elrond," her hands lifted up to ruffle their heads, "please enjoy all the time you have, and have fun, will you? Now go and play, the story of suffering and corruption aren't for your ears, okay?"

The twins nodded eagerly when they noticed her falling smile, "Please don't be sad, nessa, for we will be by your side forever!" they proclaimed, before returning to where they were playing before.

Elmarë watched her brothers with a fond smile as they continued playing their 'King Fingon against Orcs', around the courtyard.

"They are great siblings," remarked Celethtár as he held her hand gently and offered, "I will help you protect them, Lady Elmarë, if you will let me do so?"

Her silver eyes seemed to scrutinize him, staring at him deeply, before they softened, and she nodded, "And be there for them when I cannot. Though it will be unlikely that the twins will be in danger when I am not there, I am grateful for your offer, Prince Celethtár."

"Celethtár," corrected he, "call me Celethtár."

"Celethtár, then, let's see the beautiful flowers that grows nearby, they have such pretty colors," enthused the silver-haired peredhel as she pulled his hand.

...

"Welcome to Hallerin once more, Lord Nelyafinwë of the Ñoldor. I trust that my son has explained the situation to you?" asked the silver haired man with appalingly pale skin.

The eldest son of Fëanor nodded his head, "Yes, King Canëhtar, he has informed me of the grave news. And with this knowledge, I offer you my blessings to be well as soon as possible."

The King of the Valley laughed, before coughing haggardly, rising the concern of his wife who stood by his side, supporting his arm.

"My dear..." she murmured sadly, bright brown eyes sunken as she stared at the king.

He smiled down weakly, "I'm fine, Calamírë." He turned his head to look at Maedhros again, "Forgive me Lord Nelyafinwë, you shouldn't have seen me in such a state."

"It is fine, King Canëhtar. I would like to inform you one more thing before you return to your quarters, if I may?" requested Maedhros.

"Yes?"

"Before we entered Hallerin's valley, there was a troop of orcs marching their way here that were approximately 300 in numbers. Nothing more but a small nuisance, but it may lead to bigger ambushes in the future. Do not worry my King, for we have taken care of it."

The king smiled, but his light gray eyes darkened, "Is that so? Morgoth..."