one | el fiesta

Nayeon doesn't exactly know why she's singing a Japanese ballad song at a Korean party, but she decides to go with the flow.

She doesn't even think about anything else whilst she sings, and she just lets all her feelings out through this one song.

The adrenaline rushes through her, and she feels so hyped as she continues on pouring her heart and soul out. The crowd doesn't seem to mind the song choice either, they're crying along anyways.

Her section of the performance era ends, and she listens to the claps and the sounds of forks hitting gently on the sides of wine glasses.

She takes out her phone and dials Sana, who is babysitting, along with Momo.

"How's Haejun?" Nayeon asks as she makes her way to the bathroom to check herself. "You guys aren't letting him eat ice cream at this time, right?"

There's a pause on the other side of the phone, and Nayeon can't help but sigh.

"Make sure he takes his medicine, okay?" She tells the two, and hangs up.

Taking a look at herself in the mirror, all she sees is a mess.

There's blotches of visible makeup around her face, and the dark circles under her eyes are barely hidden.

It's not like she planned for this to happen, but the world has it's own way of letting things occur.

I haven't slept for the past 36 hours, Nayeon grumbles, splashing some cooling water onto her face. I doubt I'll sleep tonight either.

She takes a look at the time on her phone.

9:56.

"I've still got an hour." She mumbles and heads out of the bathroom.

Nayeon says that she expects everything and anything to happen.

She has no control over the universe.

However, she doesn't expect to bump into someone the second she steps out of the world of the bathroom. Her phone drops onto the ground, and as any normal person would do, she rushes to pick it up.

What she also doesn't expect is that the other person will pick it up either.

Just as two boulders collide to create....something (Nayeon couldn't exactly remember what), two heads collided to create a headache that very second.

Nayeon stumbled onto the wall, holding her head in pain. "Hey!"

"Sorry, sorry." The other woman stood up, holding her head. "Did you get it though?"

"A concussion? Yeah, hell I did." Nayeon rubs her head. "I'm sorry, you're probably in more pain than I am right now."

"It's all good." The other woman softly chuckles. "I've been through worse."

Nayeon doesn't know why, but the person's voice sounds so oddly familiar that she wants to cry.

Or perhaps it was just because her head hurt.

She looks up and finds herself looking at a person she hadn't seen in so long, a person she had never expected to see ever again.

Could this just be an illusion of some sort? Is my brain playing tricks on me?

But alas, it is not a trick of any sort.

"Yoo Jeongyeon..."

*****

The two stand on the balcony, leaning against the rails, knees hitting the glass pane below them.

"Why-How-When-What-" Nayeon can't even comprehend what is going on. Her mind is everywhere. It's such a frenzy that she can't even remember how old she is (not that she wants to remember at all, to be honest).

"Calm down, Im." Jeongyeon chuckles. "I'll explain it in due time."

Nayeon nods and looks down at the people enjoying their time. She turns to Jeongyeon whose face is lit up by the few lights that make the party a little bit better.

She clears her throat and looks back at the dance. "I thought that...you know? That you were in the mafia gang thing."

"I was." Jeongyeon purses her lips. "But I quit it."

"You...just quit? Like, so quickly?" Nayeon opens her mouth in shock. From what she's read in books and watched in movies, if you try to quit the mafia, you'd get killed soon after.

The younger woman nods her head. "Actually, remember when I came back to visit you in the gym?"

Nayeon remembers it ever so well. She remembers everything from back then.

"Well, that was when I was gathering information to take down other cartels in the area. Once I took those ones down, I made sure to disband all my members. They're all living in far off countries now." Jeongyeon smiles, feeling a bit proud of herself. "Took me four whole years to do it. Got shot every now and then, but it healed quicker every time."

Nayeon can't hide her emotions. She doesn't know how Jeongyeon could bear all that.

"...And here I am now."

"So what do you do for a living then?" Nayeon bites her nail as the next song plays. "Isn't your track record like...dirty?"

The other woman shakes her head and laughs, in contrast to the very slow music. "I'm an actress now. Surprise, I guess."

Nayeon raises her eyebrow. "What have you acted in?"

"You...you don't know?"

"If I did, would I have asked?"

Jeongyeon frowns and fumbles with the ring on her right index finger. "I was in the box office hit last year. "Escape to Gangnam", where I was the lead. I thought you'd have seen it."

"I don't really have the time to watch movies or dramas. Life's got me all messed up." Nayeon admits, chuckling lightly. "Sana and Momo might have watched it though. But I think they'd tell me..." Or not. They definitely wouldn't tell me.

"I see. What's got you so busy then?" Jeongyeon asks.

"My job. Singing at different bars and parties." Nayeon starts, and Jeongyeon waits for Nayeon to continue.

"And?"

"My kid."

Jeongyeon's brain stops working.