two | dances

"You have a...a kid?"

"Shocker, right?" Nayeon laughs. "I had him in college. I was stupid, drunk and dumb. It was just a one-night stand."

"You still love him though, right?"

"Of course. I don't regret having him at all. He's the light of my life, my precious boy." Nayeon holds her head up high. "He means the whole world to me."

Jeongyeon looks around. "I don't mean your son. I know you'd always love your children. I meant your one-night stand man."

"Oh...him?" Nayeon clears her throat. "I don't-I think that-Well, actually-I'm not even sure. But I'm trying to get along with him for Haejun's sake. He lives in Italy, and it's hard for my boy to see him."

"What's he do?"

"Oh, he works as a construction manager there. Builds houses and stuff like that. Gets enough money for me and Haejun to keep on."

Jeongyeon rolls her tongue around her mouth as the music stops, and stands up straight. "I'd better get going. I've got to rest myself for tomorrow's shooting."

She turns around, before feeling a nostalgic hold on her wrist.

"Yoo Jeongyeon, dance with me first."

*****

The next song is slow, and Jeongyeon and Nayeon are both pacing themselves, twirling each other around like little kids.

"The last time I saw you was at the school dance you know," Nayeon pouts. "Then you ran away from me and I never saw you again."

"You saw me two months later...?" Jeongyeon furrows her brows.

"That was just a figment of my imagination. You didn't exist after that ball to me." The older woman jokes, and Jeongyeon spins her around again. "Besides, I wouldn't even take that second time into account. Kinda messed my head up for the whole match, to be honest."

"Who won?"

"Who do you think?" She replies smugly, and Jeongyeon laughs at the smirk on her face.

She puts her hand on Nayeon's waist. "Still as humble as ever, I see."

Nayeon just laughs, because things that were in the past seemed to just be a distant memory. It were as if the things that seemed to pose such a huge problem before were now just merely bedtime stories to tell her son.

"By the way," Jeongyeon's been wondering about this for a long time. "Whatever happened to Mina?"

Nayeon looks around, because she knows a lot, but it's not enough to fully answer that question.

After that Winter Dance, Mina knew that her father and other yakuza leaders would be trying to find her and kill her. Yet she demanded to stay at the school.

"She was killed about three months after I left." Nayeon's smile drops. "She really risked it all."

Jeongyeon feels tears welling up in her eyes.

She regrets not forgiving Mina that day in the storage room. She regrets giving Mina the side-eye that day on the rooftop.

She should have offered her protection.

"I...I..." Jeongyeon wants to cry, but it's embarrassing in front of all these other rich people.

"Don't cry, Jeong." Nayeon sighs, and then looks up with a smirk on her face. "...Because I'm just kidding!"

Jeongyeon immediately changes her posture, and Nayeon proceeds to slap her shoulder down whilst cackling.

The younger one rubs her shoulder immediately. "Jeez, I think I lost some height because of that damn slap."