eight | pick-up

The two step out of the movie theatre, and are both confused with what the hell they just saw. The endless rambling doesn't even stop as they get into the car, on their way to pick up Haejun.

"So you're telling me...they didn't end up together?" Nayeon stares out into the windshield of the car. "Like...they just didn't?"

"Apparently so." Jeongyeon clicks her tongue. "Although, I feel it is really a realistic ending."

"She kissed her and dashed."

"That's what I did with you, though."

Nayeon glares at her and then turns back to change the music. "The Half of It was pretty good, but I just wish there was more action or something."

"It's literally a minimalist romance movie, Nay." Jeongyeon steps on the breaks as they near a red light. "I feel like you read the synopsis on wikipedia ahead of actually watching the movie."

"Okay, and so what if I did?" Nayeon huffs and crosses her legs over. "I spoiled the entirety of Penthouse for Momo and she got mad at me and gave me the silent treatment for a week, but you know what? It was worth it."

"The point of the movie is surprise, to see something that the director has created for the audience to enjoy." Jeongyeon whips her head to face Nayeon. "For example, all my movies that you have yet to watch."

"I have no time, Jeong."

"You had time to go out with me today."

"Okay..." Nayeon looks as the red light turns amber. "Well, I might get jealous if I see you kissing someone else."

Jeongyeon doesn't even notice the green light, and is only reminded of it when a line of angry cars honk at her to go ahead.

"W-what do you mean?"

Nayeon laughs. "Well, you're the main lead, right? Surely you've had kissing scenes."

"I have."

"Exactly. Do you really want me, your first love, to be seeing this, and do you really want me to be jealous?"

Jeongyeon thinks about it for a bit. "If you get jealous, then doesn't that mean that you still have feelings for me?"

"Feelings? Pfft—" Nayeon tries to laugh it off, turning to face the tall structures on the sides. "It's been nine years since I last saw you, Yoo. And you think I'll still be in love with your annoying ass?"

"Perhaps. You seemed to be flustered by the forehead kiss I gave you in the café."

Nayeon feels her whole face heat up again. "Yeah, yeah, well that's only because it was so sudden!"

Mmhm, whatever you say. Jeongyeon doesn't reply, she just smirks, knowing that Nayeon indeed has blossoming feelings—or that's what her gut is telling her, at least.

As they near the school, she notices the flurry of adults there, waiting to pick their children up. I've never actually been through one of these before.

Growing up, she was in a private academy. But can you really call it an academy if the other students there were the descendants of drug cartel leaders and mafia bosses?

No one ever picked her or her brothers up from school. They'd always go in separate cars when going home, and not once did the drivers step out of the car to greet them.

Life back then was pretty lonely.

"You wanna come in with me or just wait here for Haejun?" Nayeon asks Jeongyeon, which brings the latter back into reality.

She turns to look at the kids and shrugs. "I wanna come. I've never actually been in a school run before, nothing like this actually."

Nayeon smiles, and the two step out of the car, making their way to the school building.

But sometimes, Jeongyeon
forgets she's a celebrity.

The second they step into the school grounds, students and parents alike begin to flock around Jeongyeon, causing Nayeon to be pushed away.

The latter can only sigh, and walks into the building to pick Haejun up, and he runs towards her with open arms.

"Hey, baby." Nayeon kisses his forehead. "I would say let's go home now, but the form of transport I took is uhm...currently overpacked."

"You took the bus, eomma?"

Nayeon grins half-heartedly. "Something like that. So how was school today?"

"It was alright, I guess." Haejun shrugs. "But my shoes are too small for me now, mama. I can't walk properly."

Nayeon attempts to put two fingers inbetween the heel of Haejun's foot and the back of the shoe, but to no avail, and she nods her head. "Fine. Let's go buy new shoes now. I'll piggyback you, okay?"

Haejun jumps up with joy. "Thank you mama!"

Nayeon pulls out her phone first and proceeds to text Momo, realising that she herself hasn't got Jeongyeon's number. Once Momo sends her number, Nayeon texts her.

She clicks the send button, and then starts to carry her son on her back, making their way.

Jeongyeon feels her phone her phone vibrate in her pocket, and she pulls it out quickly to see who it is.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
You seem quite busy. I'm going to go to the mall to get Haejun some new shoes.
Thank you for today.

Jeongyeon tries yelling out Nayeon's name, but it seems as if the woman has already left. She decides to accept her fate, and takes pictures with her fans.

*****

"Jeongyeon, what did I tell you about going out to public places like these?" Manager Kim rubs her forehead.

"That I shouldn't?" Jeongyeon raises an eyebrow. "But that's really restricting—"

"No! I mean, you can go out to places like that, but at least request for some bodyguards to be near you. It's dangerous, not to mention we saw you with some other person there. Your fans may get jealous, and try to find who she was."

Jeongyeon sits back in her chair. "I'll make sure they don't. Also, what's the other thing you wanted to talk about?"

"Your schedule, Jeongyeon. You never told me that you requested to reschedule today's shooting. Why is that?"

The woman shrugs. "Maybe because you wouldn't allow me anyways?"

Manager Kim walks over to a photo of Jeongyeon hanging next to a photo of other artists in the company. "Exactly. Jeong, you've got a career. I don't know about you, but you've gotta choose between your career and your relationships."

"Why can't I have both?" Jeongyeon frowns. "I work hard. My work has been praised by the toughest critics. So why don't I get to have some free time too?"

Her manager puts her hands in her pockets and begins pacing the room. "You have a friend called Son Chaeyoung, right?"

Jeongyeon nods.

"Some paparazzi caught you, her and your girlfriend—or whatever she is to you—at the café today. I suppose you also heard about a relationship she had before going into the industry."

She nods again.

"Chaeyoung chose her career over her relationship, and look at her now. She's thriving where she's working." Manager Kim stops and turns back to the confused girl who's in the chair. "When the time comes for you to make that decision, I want you to look back on this conversation, okay?"

Jeongyeon can only nod, no matter how much she disagrees with the devil who is disguised as a black haired and brown-eyed lady.