Chapter 7

"Good afternoon, Lillie."

Without looking up from her tomato soup, Lillie replies.

"Good afternoon, Charlie."

He looks past her at the bright windows that line the Great Hall. Winter sunlight streams from them, as well as down from the magic ceiling that hangs over the long wooden tables. The sun is direct, and in a normal room it would be blinding; in the Great Hall, the windows are charmed to filter it into soft, dappled light.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" he says, uncharacteristically awkward, like couldn't think of what to say. He's sitting across the table from Lillie, watching her stir her soup with her spoon nervously.

"Yeah, really pretty. Might try and get out towards the forest, get some mugwort for my weed."

Charlie looks intrigued when she says this. He smirks slyly, "You smoke?"

"Uh yeah, I do. You?" she asks. She immediately regrets mentioning it.

"Yeah, it helps my leg. That's actually what I was going to talk to you about. If you wanna--"

Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, Fred slides into the bench next to her, grabbing a piece of potato from her plate and popping it into his mouth.

"Hi Lillie. Cute headband," he says, flicking it lightly. Lillie reaches up to hear head self-consciously. He shifts his body towards Charlie, "Hey, Charlie, right?" Lillie rolls her eyes; Fred knows exactly who Charlie is. He's the most popular Slytherin in his year, and his teammate Katie's brother. She chalks his feigned ignorance up to house rivalry.

"Yeah," Charlie replies shortly. Of course, he does know Fred and George, though he gives no indication nor does he bother to ask.

"What are you two talking about?" he says casually, reaching for a plate of chicken tenders that had just appeared and plucking one up. Lillie looks at Charlie and raises her eyebrows, inviting him to continue.

"I was just about to ask Lillie whether she'd like to come smoke with me this afternoon."

Fred stops chewing momentarily, still staring at the plate in front of him. He regains his composure, continuing to chew and turning towards Lillie.

"Yeah? And what did you say?" he asks, still casual.

"She hadn't had a chance to respond," Charlie says coolly.

Fred shoots him a look. He asked Lillie, not Charlie. He turns again to her and raises his eyebrows.

"I don't know," Lillie says, lightly. She didn't particularly want to go, but she knew Charlie would smoke her out. "I have a bit of a packed day, and smoking when it's light out is a little risky."

"I'll come, then," Fred says brightly, like he'd just had a marvelous idea.

Charlie's expression hardens further, "I don't have enough weed for three."

"Not a problem, I'll bring my own. I'll smoke you both out, if you like."

Charlie rolls his eyes, "No thanks. I'm a bit picky with what I smoke."

"Suit yourself." He speaks to Lillie, now, "It'll be perfect. I'll bring the weed you like, and you know I have a, erm," he pauses suggestively, "Knack for staying out of trouble."

A look of understanding passes between them. Fred was offering his services; not necessarily protection, but a rescue from a sure to be awkward situation.

"Alright. Yeah. Let's do it," Lillie says, happily.

"Lovely," Charlie says, though he doesn't seem to mean it, "Four P.M. in the clock tower courtyard?"