CHAPTER 25

He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger–

With a small tug at the sleeve of her sweater, her attention is pulled from her book as she glances down at the particularly small house elf that stands on the side of the couch.

"Are you Miss Lillienne Wenlock?" she squeaks.

"I am," Lillie replies, closing her book and pulling her feet from Fred's lap on the other end of the couch.

"Mister Headmaster Albus Dumbledore requests Miss Lillienne Wenlock's company in his office. Please come with Flixie," she whirls around and begins walking quickly towards the exit.

"Guess I'm needed elsewhere," she shrugs. She chuckles at Fred's pout, kissing him lightly as she stands to follow. "I'll be back soon. Do you want to smoke later?"

He smiles at that, pleased for the moment, "Yes I would–"

"Miss Lillienne Wenlock, Mister Headmaster Albus Dumbledore told Flixie to please bring Miss Lillienne Wenlock very quickly," the house elf calls.

"Love you," Fred says, returning to his book.

"Love you," she calls over her shoulder, following Flixie out of the Order's dormitory.

The door to Dumbledore's office is already open when Lillie climbs the spiral staircase. He sits behind his desk, examining his withered hand.

"Ah, Lillienne. Please come in," he calls in a low voice.

"Good evening, Albus. How's it going?" she asks casually. The door shuts behind her softly, and a few candles flicker to life, illuminating the study more completely. She frowns as she notices first the lack of tea and cakes, then the drawn look on his weathered face.

"I'm quite alright," he sighs, his tone betraying his statement. "Please, have a seat. I'm afraid I don't have any refreshments for this evening. This will not be like our more casual meetings, however much I might enjoy them."

"Business first," Lillie says lightly, attempting to relieve the tension.

"Yes, yes," he smiles, "Business. Next week, I will be leaving the castle with Harry to retrieve a... a Horcrux." Lillie blinks at him, comprehension not coming. "Do you know what a Horcrux is, Lillienne?" She looks to the side, frowning, examining her memory for any such item.

"I believe...I believe I came across the term in the restricted section, just after you granted me access. I was researching soul work... I just remember it being under the Dark Magic category, so I just skimmed it." She came across the text looking for why she and Fred shared their strange connection, and what effect love has on energy scanning.

He sighs, "Lillienne, we've established the topics we discuss here are confidential, but that confidentiality is up to your discretion." She nods. "What I am about to share with you is told to no one. I am not exaggerating when I say that if anyone finds out that you know this, it could mean a death sentence for you, Harry, everyone either of you love. Do you understand?"

Her eyes widen and her heart quickens, "Albus, what–"

"Do you understand?" he says, his voice suddenly hard and commanding.

"Y-yes," she says quickly.

"I suspect that Voldemort has split his soul."

"Split? He's split his soul?" she asks.

"Yes. Into four pieces, at least. As you'll have read, a Horcrux is the item that holds that piece."

"Four pieces?" she gasps. He nods.