CHAPTER 10

Lillie shows up to Gryffindor tower drunk. She decided to pregame with Ella, Penelope, and Jackie at the Hufflepuff dorms before sneaking out to the portrait hole. She arrives in a wave of people, all chattering excitedly as they wait to be let in. They let out a cheer when Dean Thomas opens the door and they pour in, flocking to the liquor table. Lillie and Ella grab each other and beeline for the quilted couches, aiming to snag a spot before anyone else. They sit across from Hermoine, Ginny, and Lee, which strikes Lillie as an odd pairing. Ginny and Hermoine sit with that air of pretense that always surrounds teenage girls at a party; their backs are straight and their legs crossed, not quite drunk enough to melt in the couch like Lillie and Ella are at present. Lee sits, looking rather glum with his chin in his palm.
"Hi Lee," Ella says sweetly.

"Ms. Rubin and Ms. Wenlock, welcome," he says, putting on a Posh accent.

"Thank you, thank you," Ella says as Lillie giggles. "Where are your roommates?"

"Haven't seen them yet, which is why I'm sitting with them," he says, whispering the latter portion and cocking his head towards Ginny and Hermoine, who are deep in hushed conversation. Just as Lee says this, Lillie hears a wolf-whistle and looks to her left. A few of the male students are cheering as Fred and George walk down the stairs from the dormitory, each holding two more bottles of firewhisky. They set them down at the makeshift bar; Lillie sees Fred scan the room, his eyes wheeling as he looks for something. She looks away quickly.

Fred spots her sitting on the couch closest to the fire next to Ella and Lee. The latter are chatting animatedly, but Lillie is quiet as she observes them, smiling contently. She's wearing a lacy pink tank top, and the warm light of the fire makes the exposed skin of her neck and arms glow. Her jean-clad legs are pulled under her and to the side. She looks comfortable, and Fred relishes the sight. He walks quickly towards the group.

Lillie turns back again, surprised when she sees him making his way over. They make eye contact and both smile widely. Lillie jumps up when he gets closer.

"Fred!" she sings dramatically, holding her arms out wide. He walks straight into them, folding his arms around her waist tightly. Lillie holds on to his neck even tighter, and his height causes her heels to lift off the ground briefly. She sways them both a little as the alcohol further affects her coordination.

"Little tipsy, are we?" He says muffled into her shoulder. She breaks the hug, kissing him on the cheek in greeting.

"Only a little," she concedes.

"I like your style," he says, looking around. He walks a few feet to a nearby table and grabs a bottle. Lillie sits on the ground instead of her previous position on the couch, hiking her knees to her chest and leaning against the front of the couch. Fred returns, whisky in hand.

"You don't have to sit on the ground, love," he says.

"Oh it's alright! We'll switch later," she says, waving her hand dismissively. Fred shrugs and sits on the couch as Ella scoots over, making room. When he's sat, Lillie moves, positioning herself so that she's sat in front of Fred's long legs. He takes the hint and moves his knees apart, allowing Lillie to sit in between them. Fred ignores the tightening in his pants at the image.

Penelope and Jackie eventually come over, drinks in hand. They sit on the floor with Lillie, in between the two seats. George eventually makes his way to the group, squeezing between Ginny and Lee. They all talk excitedly as Ella, a muggle-born, relays the latest news from the muggle world. She's telling a story about an athlete named OJ Simpson who probably killed his wife. Lillie nods along as though she knew the story already, but Fred hadn't heard of him. He doesn't really understand why it took police so long to catch him; if it were aurors, it would have ended a lot quicker. After a while, Lillie leans her head on his knee. She turns her head to face him, peering over her shoulder.