Recovery One (4)

A bright blue A.I. glitched on the ground. . . Washington found himself in a small room.

?: Agent Washington? Agent Washington?

Washington: Sorry, what were you saying?

?: Were you thinking about Epsilon again, Agent Washington?

Washington: No.

?: What happened with Epsilon was not your fault, Agent Washington.

Washington: I didn't think it was.

?: We have safeguards for the unstable emotional patterns of an artificial intelligence. Sometimes these algorithms fail.

Washington: Oh, so then it's your fault.

?: We prefer to think of it as no one's fault.

Washington: Really?

?: Just a possible, but rare and unfortunate outcome.

Washington: How convenient.

?: Are you having new feelings about the incident?

Washington: No, just the same old feelings. You know, that I had another person in my head and I got to experience first-hand as their mind unraveled while mixed with my own. Then I still have trouble distinguishing between its disintegrating thoughts and my own. You know, the usual.

?: What about the hostility from the other agents who lost out on assignments once we suspended the use of implants?

Washington: What about them? Am I supposed to feel bad for them, or something?

?: Do you think you could work with an A.I. or another agent ever again?

Washington: . . . .No, I don't.

?: Good. Then we have a job for you.

*Present*

Washington: South! I need you out here now!

Explosions hit the walls as gunfire flew in the air!

Washington: Get over here right now! South?! Where are you?!

South was in cover, getting used to the newly implanted A.I. in her head.

Delta: Keep breathing. Hearing my voice internally can be jarring at first.

South held her head as he spoke.

Delta: I am told it helps clear the mind to concentrate on one thing. May I suggest that you try-

South: Will you please not talk for just a second, that might help!

Delta: Technically, I am not talking.

South: Delta! Please!

Delta: My apologies.

South: Okay, I'm feeling better.

Delta: Remember to keep breathing.

South: Yes, I'll keep that it mind. How many enemies?

Delta: I do not detect any on my sensors, but the gunfire would indicate that we are facing only one. This is an atypical enemy. I can offer no advise.

Washington: South! I need you out here now!

South: On my way!

She sprinted towards Wash!

Delta: I have functions that could assist in battle, would you like me to run the tutorial program?

South: Are you kidding me?

She arrived near Wash, who was crouched down and opening fire! She took cover and stood over him before firing as well.

South: Wash, I'm here!

Washington: Good, I need help on the left. This guy moves fast, so keep your eyes open.

South winced as she tried to see clearly.

Washington: South, are you okay?

Delta: She is having difficulty with my presence.

Washington: How difficult?

Delta: Patient has trouble-

South: I'm fine! Let's get this guy.

Washington: No.

South: No?

Washington: See that ship?

He looked up to see a Covenant Banshee at an elevated position.

Washington: You get to it and take off. Get yourself and more importantly Delta back to base, I'll cover you as best I can.

Delta: Wash, is your armor adequately compensating for your wounds?

South: You're hit?!

Washington: Just twice, I'm fine. Movement on twos. On my mark, sync.

South: But-

Washington: Sync!

South: Sync!

Washington: Move!

Before Washington could even get up and start moving. . .

Washington: Agh!

South knocked him out with the butt of her rifle. . . .

Delta: Alarm! Friendly target, cease aggression!

South: Calm down, I'm protecting him! I just hope he understands. . . .

She walked out of cover and heard a growl. . . South turned to see a soldier holding a Brute Shot. . .

South: Listen to what I'm about to say, because you have a choice. Washington is dead. I put a timed charge on his body. So if you want his equipment, you'd better get it now. Or you can come after us, and lose it for sure. So, what's it going to be? Chase us in hopes of beating us, or go for the sure thing and find us another day?

It growled again before moving towards Washington's unconscious body.

South: Smart move. Alright, thank you command for being idiotic. Come in command.

Command: Hello Recovery Two, what is your status?

South: Mission accomplished command. We were able to draw out the enemy, just as your projected. Sending logs now.

Command: Excellent news. We'll use the data to decise a new strategy to combat it.

South moved up towards the Banshee.

Command: What is the status of recovery one?

The woman entered the vehicle and took off into the air.

South: KIA. The enemy took him down.

Command: Understood. Was Wash ever aware of your efforts at any time?

South: Neither were you. Negative. He acted exactly as the profile predicted. He even set up the encounter.

Command: Return to base. . . We'll rate you for implantation as agreed.

South: . . . . .Negative.

Command: Say again, Recovery Two.

South: Negative, you got what you wanted. . . and I have my A.I. now. You won't be hearing from me again, goodbye.

Command: South, you know we have other agents. We will find you South.

The Meta stood over Agent Washington's unconscious body. . . .

South: Its not you I'm worried about.