Chapter 2

Director: A response. . . from the Director of Project Freelancer. Dear Chairman, while I am obligated to assist your investigation, I ask that you not waste my time with irrelevant questions. My agency is normally unconcerned with such minute directives such as troop reassignment, except of course, in the most critical of matters.

Agent Washington approached the Blue Base.

Washington: Hello? Hello? Anybody here?

The Blue Base was seemingly vacant.

Washington: Recovery One calling command, come in command.

Command: Go ahead Recovery One, we have you.

Washington: I'm at Outpost 1A, looks deserted.

Command: Roger that. See if you can find any evidence that would suggest where they all migh-

?: Hey! A-hole! What's with all the noise?! People are trying to sleep here!

Washington looked up to see a soldier in yellow armor standing in the entrance to Blue base.

Washington: Erm. . . scratch that command. . . It appears I found someone. Recovery One out.

Kaikaina Grif walked down the ramp to meet the Freelancer.

Kaikaina: Oh, it's a new guy.

Washington: Hi, I'm Agent Washington. This is Blue base, correct?

Kaikaina: It was.

Washington: Was?

Kaikaina: Everyone's gone! Transferred. Something about this base being obsolete now or-

Washington: Alright. Where did they go?

Kaikaina: I don't know! All different places, nobody told me anything.

Washington: Well. . . I'm trying to locate some people who might have experience with the Freelancer Program.

Kaikaina: Freelancer? I remember Ruby mentioning that a few times. . . Nah, let's mess with this guy! Is that the band we had here last night?

Washington: You had a party here?

Kaikaina: Yeah! I throw raves every night! Well, at least as much as. . . she. . . will let me.
At least I made ten bucks last night.

Washington: You use the base for raves? That's doesn't seem like the proper use for official reasons.

Kaikaina: What are you, like a cop or something?

Washington: No.

Kaikaina:  Because if you are, and I ask you, you have to tell me! That's totally a law or something!

Washington: I'm not the police. . . and that's not a real law.

Kaikaina: Well, if you're not a cop, then how do you know it's not a real law? Busted!

Washington: You caught me. Hey, is there anybody. . . else. . . smart. . . here, that I can talk to?

Kaikaina: Yeah, right, like I'm going to tell you! I don't rat people out, cop!

Washington: Okay, I'm going to leave now.

Kaikaina: *laughs* Worked like a charm.

Washington: Good luck with your empty base and raging insanity.

Kaikaina: Yeah?! Whatever! Good luck with being a cop! COP!

Washington sighed as he made his way over to Red base.