Chapter 8

Director: Dear Chairman, I understand your concern that increased activity would bring increased risk. However, our failsafes are simple but foolproof. A dead or dying agent's beacon automatically notifies our recovery team, and we will be on the scene immediately so secure all the military's property.

The group arrived on the beach to Zanzibar.

Washington: Look, there's our cycle. The meta must be here.

Church: Yeah because, no one else in military would have a standard issue motorcycle. . . just like that.

Caboose: Also, the piles of dead bodies might have been a clue.

Kaikaina: Or the property damage.

Washington: Just keep your heads down and your eyes open. I'm going to advance along that wall. Ruby, take them with you and move up along the other side.

Ruby: Understood. South, think you can walk a little now?

South: Walk yes, run no.

Ruby: Good enough.

Washington: Don't use the radio unless it's absolutely necessary.

Church: Okay.

Washington: And don't make a move until I do.

Ruby: Washington, we aren't stupid.

Washington: And no screw ups this time.

Kaikaina: We're not the ones who almost killed the person we were trying to save.

Caboose: Uhhh, it doesn't count for me.

Washington: *sighs* We only have one chance to get this thing before it gets back to full power, I can't take any chances that you all are gonna botch this!

Church: Dude, just fucking go already.

Washington: Listen to wh-

Ruby: We did, we heard, now go!

Her glare immediately made him back down. The group moved up the stairs.

Delta: Agent Washington, perhaps it would be best if I assisted you in battle rather than helping Kaikaina.

Washington: No.

Delta: Statistically speaking, they have five members, and you are alone. You'd receive far more use from-

Washington: I said no. Now get going.

They split up, Wash going alone.

Church: Pst, hey Delta, South.

Delta: Yes, how may I be of assistance?

South: What is it?

Church: Can I ask you two a couple questions about this Freelancer program?

Delta: Certainly. I will answer what I am capable of answering.

The group dropped from the wall and moved beside a few rocks.

Church: This Alpha thing, why doesn't Wash want you two to tell us anything about it?

Kaikaina: I'm kinda curious too, sounds spooky.

They then moved throw a small building on the left of the Windmill and took cover beside the exit.

South: Wash hasn't been a big fan of anything Freelancer since a good friend died, and since his A.I. killed itself.

Delta: Correct, Washington was one of the many failures during the implantation process.

Ruby: Many? How many?