Chapter 1

"Finally! Home sweet home!" I said as I dropped by suitcases inside the master bedroom. I had arrived in Montreal, Canada three years ago for my dramatic arts studies on a scholarship. I studied Drama all throughout high school and each year my love for it increased, so my mother, the ever supportive, suggested I apply at an arts college. AFDA was a good drama college to go to back home in South Africa, however, I wanted to travel and I felt as if being alone for the first time would mature me.

I applied to the National Theatre School of Canada and while my grades were good I was expected to audition. Obviously, there were thousands of kilometers between me and the institution so I recorded myself and sent it to them. 2 months later I was given a final offer with paid tuition and an allowance so I jumped to it.

The past three years had been a breeze and I was given a theatre diploma. A week ago, I purchased my first home after a long time of saving, in this cozy neighbourhood and I was ready to start my life and career. Getting cast as a black girl wasn't easy so I took on modeling jobs and had a part-time job at the theatre.

I was tall, not necessarily slender, especially given my hip width but I could fit into the clothes so I guess that counts and according to an agent my bone structure was 'adequate'. Whatever pays the bills I guess.

I bought my home from a 35 year old weirdo who was way too desperate to leave such a beautiful house. It was meant to go for $1.8M but I got it for $650K. I know right? I got really lucky! And my mother did pitch in a little...okay a lot and I was grateful.

I didn't hesitate to move in once he was out as I wanted to get settled into my new life quickly.

I was finishing my unpacking when the doorbell rang and I speed walked to answer it. Opening my door I was met by a little somewhat blonde old woman with a bottle of wine in her hands and a bow around it. She greeted me and said, "Welcome dear! I'm Sarah and I saw you were new so here's my house warming gift to you! I can't wait to get to know you more!" She spoke as she placed the VERY expensive bottle in my hands. I smiled, introduced myself and thanked her for the lovely gift.

I was honestly awestruck. I had anticipated to be in a neighbourhood where people didn't talk but this was lovely. I waved her off as she walked across the street to her house. I turned around and proceeded to the kitchen to place the wine in the fridge.

I wasn't big on alcohol, especially wine...that was my mother's department and no one could beat the Queen of Alcoholism on Weekends. I sighed as I took in my surroundings again. I needed curtains. The windows were just too big.

I planned to visit the mall tomorrow and familiarize myself with the area. Currently, I was beat and all I needed was to sleep after the long day of travel that I had.