Elle

Derek and I walk hand in hand to the waiting room of the obstetrician's office, excitement and nerves are high. My morning sickness was awful this morning, the smell thing that didn't make feel physically sick was Derek's cologne. So I'm wearing Derek's hoody and I periodically buried my nose in the sleeve.

We settle in two chairs side by side and I rest my head on Derek's shoulder. His leg is jigging up and down with nerves so I gently place my hand on his thigh, calming him slightly.

"Elle Martin?" We both stand together and my hand finds his immediately as we follow the doctor towards our cubicle.

"You ready to see our baby, Elle?"

I nod, my throat is dry with a combination of disbelief and unbelievable excitement. The doctor is sitting at the desk waiting for us. She smiles over at us both and gestures me to the bed and Derek to the chair beside it. I sit back on the bed and pull my legs up, Derek settles on the chair and rests his hand on mine.

The doctor spins on her chair and faces us. "So how far along do you think you are."

We both smile at each other, knowing the exact date. "I'm exactly 2 months and 4 days."

The doctor chuckles at my accuracy. "Been trying for a while then?" The doctor smiles at me warmly and I return it.

I instinctively remove my, well Derek's hoody because it's too cumbersome to have an ultrasound in. As soon as my still small stomach bump is exposed the doctor's eyes narrow onto it.

"I'm going to be honest, Miss Martin, you look a little too big to be two months. Any chance your dates are a bit muddled?"

"No, I'm definitely 2 months, it's the only time we've been together and I haven't been with anyone else."

The doctor nods but still looks at my stomach with a slight frown. My free hand tightens over my virtually on existent bump protectively.

We commence with the questions I would expect, I tell her about the morning sickness and explain about Derek's hoody. We all chuckle at that.

"Right well, I've got all the information I need to know so it's time for the ultrasound." The doctor states after updating her notes on the computer. Derek and I look at each other excitedly and turn back to the doctor expectantly.

I lift my top and the doctor spreads the cold gel over my stomach, I'm practically trembling in excitement.

"Dad, you might want to stand to get a better look at the screen." The doctor advises and Derek follows it immediately. He stands and looks at the blank screen expectantly for the images to appear. I can tell by his breathing that Derek is both petrified and excited, I couldn't love him more if I tried.

The wand is pressed to my stomach and is moved around. Then the doctor pauses, returns to the same spot two or three times, I look at Derek, slightly spooked. He presses his lips together but shakes his head at me reassuringly, I bite my lip and let out a shaky exhale.

"Oh." The doctor breathes out heavily and murmurs to herself under her breath.

"What?" I exclaim, panicked. "What's wrong!"

"Nothings wrong but... I'm counting three heartbeats."

My mouth drops open at the same time as a huge thud judders the room. Both the doctor and I whip our heads around to find Derek passed out on the floor.

The idiot has fainted.

"Der?" I call out nervously, "You good?"

He raises a single thumbs up and I giggle as he continues to stare at the ceiling.

"Are you sure it's triplets, isn't that like ridiculously rare?" The doctor nods and checks the screen once again.

"It's definitely three separate heartbeats." By this point Derek is standing beside me looking pale and gripping my hand tightly.

"T-three?" He stutters out. "Three babies."

The doctor nods her head gently and points them out for him again.

"Oh... cool." He mumbles before he collapses once again and hits the floor. Both the doctor and myself stand up and head over to him.

I'm biting my lip, both with worry for my baby daddy but also to keep from chuckling at the ridiculous state of him all clad in leather but laying on the floor.

The doctor helps him to sit up, he looks around groggily as my gynaecologist checks Derek for a concussion. Once his confused eyes find my face, they brighten with alertness.

He springs to his feet, muttering to himself.

"What are you doing, kneeling down! You need to be more careful Elle," he frets as he helps me back to the bed and the doctor returns to he sit before the machine.

"C-could you show us one more time please." I ask softly as Derek sits down I the chair, panting slightly.

I reach over and stroke his pale cheek softly with my fingertips and he catches my palm to press a kiss there.

"Look I'll show you them." The doctor offers and points to the areas of my womb where each baby is. "This is ridiculously rare 1 in 10,000 actually."

Derek and I look at each other with wide eyes, his with awe, mine with horror as it finally sinks in that I'm going to have three babies in me at the same time!

"Well I've printed out a picture for you to take home and I'll have the receptionist schedule your next appointment. Any questions?"

Both Derek and I shake our heads at the same time, neither of us capable of speaking. We leave the room in silence, Derek handles the reception and jots down our appointment time and date.

I'm still processing the fact I have three humans in me. Not one. Not two. But three. Three babies that will all be newborns together.

What the fuck am I going to do? How is my body going to stretch that much? I can't push them out?

"Elle, baby, we're at the lift."

I hadn't even realised we were walking, Derek presses the button to call the lift and then pulls me to his chest.

"It will all be ok Elle, just more to love." He smiles at the thought of having his babies and I nearly smack him. It's easy for the man to be excited by triplets and it's not that I'm not overjoyed, but logistically they just won't fit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit in the car as Derek drives us back to the compound, staring at the sonogram picture. I count the little peanuts over and over again- there are definitely three.

"Do you want to tell everyone or wait?" Derek asks, moving his hand up and down on my thigh and squeezing it lightly.

"What do you want to do Der?"

"Me? I want to tell all my brothers. I'm so fucking proud of you and our babies, all three of them somehow." He chuckles and shakes his head again in disbelief much like I have been doing throughout this experience.

"Then we tell them all now, but..." Derek takes his eyes of the road for a second to look at me before returning his gaze elsewhere. "Only if I get to tell everyone you fainted...twice."

I giggle as I remember this hulking man laying on the floor, I mean honestly you'd have thought someone told him he'd have three full grown babies in him together.

"I can't believe you fainted."

"I can't believe you've got three babies in there. What are we? Ridiculously fertile or some shit."

"Well the doctor said it was one in 10,000 so we must just be lucky."

Derek smiles and strokes my hand, over the ring that has been returned to my hand.

"That's it. We're so very lucky."