7

He walked through the doors, not looking up from the floor where he's eyes followed the red line leading to Newt. It was quiet, and peaceful. Thomas liked it. The hospital felt like a maze. Every corner being familiar, but still leading a new way. Some of the doors were locked. And though he didn't want to admit it, he had forgotten the way to him.

Just as Thomas was about to ask someone, he spotted Newts face in the dimmed light at the other end of the corridor. He froze. The both of them did. Thomas felt this unbearable need to cry. To scream. Because these feelings? So strange, like nothing he has ever felt before.

Newt was the first to break out of it. He pushed himself closer to Thomas, and stopped about 5 feet in front of him.

"Tommy what are you doing here?" Newt asked.
"I-" he took a breath. What exactly were he doing here? What was he thinking about? Visiting a boy he had just met because he was confused and so tired of the girl he was supposed to love?
"I were going to fetch something for Teresa." Thomas said.
"All right," Newt said looking a little hurt. But it was really too dark to see.
"I got kinda lost, so i just stared walking in a direction that felt familiar to me." He said hoping his lie wasn't too unbelievable.
"I see," Newt said. "Do you need help finding it? I know my way around here quite well you know."
A little panicked Thomas said: "no, no really it's fine!"
And regretted it right after.
"See you later then," Newt said and turned around.
Thomas didn't say goodbye.
Instead, when Newt had disappeared around the corner, he followed.

He recognized the door right away. The one in the end of the hall, with that big fake plant beside it. He knocked softly at the door.

"Sorry," he said as Newt opened it. "What, no I get it Tommy, it's alright."
"You get what exactly?" Thomas asked, slightly confused.
"I get that you wouldn't like hanging around with me, it's all right, just don't tease me, and don't pretend to be my friend when you clearly don't want to."
Thomas looked at Newt in disbelief. Had he really come by as that cold?
"No Newt you must be misunderstanding, that's not the case at all. I like spending time with you."
"So why did you lie about why you were here?"
Crap.
"Newt I honestly don't know," Thomas said as he thought this wasn't very Newt-like thing to do. "Are you all right?" He asked noticing the dark rings under his eyes.
"I'm fine, I just, I like spending time with you I guess."
Then he paused.
"I don't get a lot of visitors you know."
"I'm sorry Newt."
"It's fine."
"I'll visit you more often."
"I feel like you have visited me often already."
"Don't say that like it's a bad thing," Thomas said and leaned against the doorframe, finally feeling a little relaxed.
"Will you come see me tomorrow then?" Newt asked.
"Yes," Thomas promised. They said goodnight and Thomas left Newt.

Back at the apartment Teresa was asleep. It didn't even seem like she had noticed Thomas had left. He took of his shoes and went to bed fully clothed. There against Teresa's back he knew he didn't love Teresa the way he was supposed to. The urge to cry hit him again. The tears ran quietly down, only making "tap tap" noises as they hit the mattress. He fell asleep feeling, for the first time after he got together with Teresa, alone.