Chapter 24: Cease Your Chance.

The following second, everyone froze. All the Resistance's membres around stopped their work and turned their eyes on the couple. Finn was agape while Rose had dropped the cables she was about to use in the Falcon to place her hands on her mouth, holding back a cry of joy. Leïa was watching them silently, a little sad smile on her face, while Chewie placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Snap, Bango and Nodin froze as well, Cane laughed frankly and Rey let out a satisfied smile. Even BB8, R2 and 3PO didn't dare to make a sound.

Slowly, Ly'ra started breathing again, her eyes fixed in Dameron's. She should have misunderstood. He couldn't have said that. It was simply impossible. Several seconds passed before she was able to talk again, and whispered:

"W-what?"

Poe offered a soft smile and continued his declaration:

"Look, I know that we've both been through difficult things and in the end, between all our comings and goings, we don't know each other very well. But there is one thing I'm sure about in this crazy world, it's that I love you. I love you as I would have never hoped to love someone before you. All these months without you, without even knowing if you were still alive drove me crazy! Jay was right, dammit! He was right since day one and I didn't want to listen to him when I should have! You changed me Ly'ra. And I have no idea where we'll be tomorrow or even if one of us will go out of this alive, but I've decided that I will not lose any more time overthinking when I should act..."

Poe stepped away slightly from the young woman, removed the chain he was wearing around his neck and kneeled down in front of her, presenting his mother's ring.

"... Ly'ra Jyn Erso... Will you marry me?"

An anxious silence suddenly fell on the base. Everyone was waiting, fixed on the young woman's lips as she was trying to clear her mind within the storm of emotions she was feeling. Ly'ra had kept her green eyes into the brown's one of Dameron during all his declaration, and right now, she knew. She knew that she would not make the same mistake twice, that she will not run away again, that rumours and parts were over. She knew where her true place was, where she wanted to spend the rest of her life, even if it meant that she would be dead tomorrow. Her life, her world wore the name of Poe Dameron. So, slowly, a smile started appearing on her face, a moved smile as she was nodding slowly.

"Yes... Of course yes!"

Poe's face suddenly lighted up with happiness and relief and he stood up to take her in his arms, allowing his joy to overwhelm them. At the same time, all the Resistants around started clapping and whistling, screaming with joy and congratulations. It was like all the base was starting to breathe again, after having been holding their breath just long enough to hear the young woman's answer. After having turned around with Ly'ra, the pilot put her back down and kissed her passionately. He had just enough time to slide his mother's ring at her finger, before being taken apart by his friends. Among them, Finn hurried to him and congratulated Poe.

"I didn't see that coming! Congratulations my friend!"

The former Stormtrooper hugged the pilot, a smile shared on their faces, while Ly'ra was surrounded by Rey and Rose.

"I'm so happy for you!"

"Yes, you deserve it, really!"

Leïa stepped closer and, after having taken the couple in her arms, she allowed a small and mysterious smile to appear on her face.

"Well... I guess we should not lose any more time!"

Poe glanced at his fiancée who shook softly her head, before looking back at the General.

"What do you mean?"

The smile on the princess' face only grew wilder as she continued:

"Don't you just say that you wanted to get married?"