The Illusion

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

As thoughts about the turn of events tormented her mind, her hands reached up and held onto the fabric in front of her. She could tell that it was made of the same heavy wool that she wore and not of a better quality, but her mind barely took that into consideration among the other thoughts that swam through and around her head. Instead, it soon shoved that detail away and focused on the fact that there was someone in front of her who was holding her close.

For a brief moment, her mind told her that someone else was holding her. It argued that the man holding her was Emorie, not Jacob. At such sweets words, she didn't fight back the thought and relaxed into his hold. Her head leaned against his chest, and her hands continued to cling to his shirt but in a gentler manner.

If she even looked up, the whole thing would be ruined, and she would realize who she was holding onto. In fact, she might've even slapped the male in front of her due to the smirk that touched his lips. Jacob couldn't resist wearing one in that moment. (F/n), the woman he loved, was settling into his hold! Waiting certainly had proved useful.

He didn't know how long this would last, so he mentally reveled in every second of it. No more words left his lips for fear of breaking the present situation. If he could hold her all evening that would be ideal, but he had a feeling that she might not let him hold her for that long. Then again, he could be wrong. After all, he hadn't been expecting (f/n) to allow him so close so easily.

With a little more time, her sobs began to quiet down, but her hands held onto him still. She nuzzled her head into his shirt, and his smirk reappeared on his lips while his heartbeat picked up a little. The increased sound didn't wake her up from the delusion that she was in. Rather, it soothed her mind. Emorie's heart was beating; he was alive.

Trying something a little more daring, he leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of her (h/l) (h/c) locks. She didn't pull away, and his heart rate heightened more. This was a dream coming true. How much would he be able to get away today? The thought excited him, but he made sure not to make any sudden movements. Despite how wonderful the current situation was, it also was incredibly fragile. One wrong move and he could destroy all of the progress he had made.

To (f/n), her mind fooled her into thinking that it was Emorie's lips that had been pressed against the top of her head. Even though she had known that Jacob had been in the room with her and that the kiss was rougher than one Emorie would give her, she didn't acknowledge those facts. She wanted Emorie to be with her, and he was. He had to be. Any other possibility, she didn't wish to accept.

Several days had gone by, and the town still had seen no sight of him. Now, though, he was in his home with her. He had sneaked into the town for some reason and never had been injured. Maybe, the bear had been chasing him, and he had dropped his sword. The blood had been from something else entirely, not even the bear, but some other creature. Emorie was holding her and comforting her. There was no more need to worry about his safety; he was safe. No other alternative existed.

... Right? Silence. No one answered. There only was an echo of her question in her head. Her hands clutched at the wool shirt again, and she felt a hand push back strands of hair behind her left ear. She froze. Something felt off as silence continued in her head. Another kiss was administered to the top of her head. It was different.