The Spy

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Everything that was important she told him. She had heard all that had been discussed in that room. The knight never had suspected anything, and she had left her hiding spot once he had entered his home and closed and locked his front door. That evening, her older brother learned that (f/n) had been helping the knight trim his beard and mustache, which was a detail that Jacob wasn't too happy with.

His whole form tensed while his fists clenched. It could've been worse; he knew that, but for her to help the knight trim, she would've had to be standing quite close to him. That fact was maddening, and Hester almost thought that her brother would break through the shutters and tear down the knight's door. Her brother's anger only grew when she announced that the knight had inquired about his relationship with (f/n) and what their childhood was like.

Forcing himself to sit down on his mattress, Jacob held his head in his hands and dug his nails into his scalp. Hester thought for a moment that he would draw blood, but he never did. Still, the sight troubled her greatly, and she was relieved that she had covered everything of importance to him. Jacob looked like he wouldn't be able to take anymore.

Even as the night carried on, she heard her brother mumbling things to himself. Her bed had been moved next to his, but she didn't mind, and she didn't question its new position. She had a feeling of what her brother had been fantasizing about, and she didn't wish to spoil that for him. Jacob's mumblings, though, consisted of practically the same phrase repeated over and over again; he was going to get (f/n) away from the knight one way or another. Hester smiled to herself at his determination, and she would help him; she felt that she had to.

When morning came, she awoke early and changed into a dark brown skirt and shirt. She placed on her leather shoes before she combed her fingers through her short auburn hair. Her dark brown optics glanced down to her brother, who was fast asleep. His right arm now was reached across her mattress, and his hand brought her pillow closer to his chest before he hugged it tightly. A smile fell on her lips. "You'll have her brother." Hester crouched down beside him and smoothed back some of his light brown, messy and short locks. "Don't worry."

Withdrawing her hand, she stood up and grabbed any dirty clothes they had in their room before she entered the main room of their house. Her parents weren't even awake yet. She placed the clothes in her hands into the basket waiting by the door. Before she left, she grabbed two slices of bread and a carrot, which she stored in her skirt's pockets. It wasn't much, but it would get her through most of the day since she could last without too much food if it meant finding out more information on the knight. Besides, she could find some wild raspberries.

With some food on hand, Hester picked up the basket and headed out after she locked the door behind her with a key around her neck. Outside, she noted that no one was on the main street yet, and her eyes went over to the knight's home. She wondered if he was up yet. There was a small pathway between his house and the next one, so she could walk through there. It did lead to the river after all.

Taking up that idea, she adjusted the basket to make it more comfortable before she walked between the two homes. She made her steps as light as she could, and she tried not to move the basket in her arms too much. It was heavy, however, and she only could do so much. So far, she heard nothing, and there was no one in the backyard of their home just yet. A frown formed on her lips. Well, it had been worth a shot.