The Clearing

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.  

Small fingers were intertwined with slightly larger ones as the two seven-year-olds raced north into the woods. The ground was relatively flat for awhile, allowing them to run across the frosted-over grass with ease in their leather shoes. Eventually, (f/n) stuffed her wimple into one of the pockets in her skirt since it kept sliding back and off of her head. Their fast pace, though, began to die down when they reached the sloped portion of the journey. White oaks and silver maples went up with the large hills, and leaves in the colors of autumn were scattered around the ground. Given their legs growing tired, they used the bark of the trees to help them climb, and Jacob kept his grip on (f/n) all the stronger.

"Are we almost there, Jacob?" she eventually asked as they just reached the midpoint of the hill they were on. It felt more like a mountain than a hill, though, to her, and she wondered if the Baxter children were telling the truth. Maybe, they had made it all up to send Jacob and her on a wild goose chase.

"Yeah." He gave her an encouraging smile. "We just have to reach the top. It'll be there!" he finished with more enthusiasm, puffs of his breath decorating the cold air around him. "You'll love it! Just imagine the flowers, (f/n)."

A bright smile hit her lips again, and she nodded. She squeezed his hand back to let him know that she was ready to continue, and he smiled again before he guided them up the hill for the rest of the way. Her legs, admittedly though, were burning by the time they reached the top. (F/n) collapsed to the ground and rested her back against one of the trees. Chest rising somewhat unevenly, she glanced to her right and towards where the supposed clearing was.

Squinting, she did note that the trees grew sparser a little ways ahead. A grin fell on her lips, and she met Jacob's light brown eyes. He was grinning too. Most likely, he had seen what she just saw. "We're almost there, (f/n)." Jacob held out his right hand to her.

Lifting it up slowly, she clasped her hand with his, and he brought her back to her feet. Their speed slower, the pair continued forward, and the trees grew more spread apart until they stepped out into a small open field. Autumn leaves blew in a gentle breeze along the floor while frosted-over grass tried to hang on a little longer before it turned brown. None of this, however, interested (f/n). Her (e/c) optics desperately were searching for the flowers that Carolyn had wished for. So far, she couldn't spot a single one. "Are you sure this is it?" she asked, stepping out onto the grass and leaves more. (F/n) crouched to the ground and pushed aside fallen leaves, but there were no flowers under them.

"Yeah ..." Jacob trailed off, a frown on his lips. He wasn't as disappointed about the flowers as (f/n), but he was angry that he hadn't been able to see her happy smile. Ever since that knight had left that piece of fabric for her, her mind had focused on that. Even during his brief visit over the four months, she had wanted to know about the war before she went on mumbling about the knight to herself.

Jacob understood that it was an honor and a rarity for a knight to give such a gift, but it was getting old. He wanted her to focus back on their time together. Besides, she probably never would see that knight again. Most likely if the war continued on, there was a high chance that he would die before more knights would be sent in. Of course, he didn't tell her that, but he was tempted to at points. Annoyed at the memories, he shoved them aside and concentrated back on the present. "Maybe, the pixies hid them away." He stepped up beside her and smiled reassuringly down to her. "We can try wishing again." At that suggestion, she nodded her head eagerly.