The Stab

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

As if things couldn't be any worse, the situation from yesterday heightened immensely. Barely, he had been able to finish his dinner that night. Immediately after the meal, he had left the house with no explanation. Hester had followed, receiving a nod from both of their parents. He imagined that his father was telling his mother how he needed to move on and all of that horrible advice. Jacob brought his right knee up to his chest and rested his arm on it. His sister was sitting across from him and leaning against another silver maple.

It probably wasn't the wisest of choices to be out in the woods at night, but he could care less. He had his sword with him in case something went wrong, but they weren't deep enough into the woods that he really worried about some animal or thief attacking them. Besides, Levonshire was so remote that rarely anyone but people with business from the king visited. Sure, a few new individuals came every now and then, but it wasn't a common occurrence. Regardless, they were close enough that they easily could be back home within a few minutes or so while not being heard by anyone in the village unless they came into the woods too. So far, neither of them had heard anyone else in the nearby area.

Not being able to help himself, he asked, "Do you think that ..."

"No," Hester immediately cut him off. "You know (f/n). She wouldn't. I know that we've mentioned it before, and I've become worried about that, but ..."

"You sound uncertain." Light brown optics met dark brown ones. She couldn't answer, and he scoffed. "Knew it, but I hope that she hasn't, especially since he's talking with her parents now." His left hand picked up a nearby rock and threw it into the distance. It landed some way off, and his right fingers tapped against his knee harshly. "It's like they're already married. I never knew her parents were such fopdoodles to allow this."

"It is spreading rumors ..." She trailed off, knowing that the rumors weren't very believable, though.

"Yeah, but her parents thought up a good excuse for them so far. Something scared (f/n) in the woods and that coupled with yesterday ..." He huffed out and brushed back strands of messy, light brown locks. "They have at least a few weeks of that working." Jacob released a drawn-out sigh. "But, this gives us time. They're not married yet."

"Right, but it seems that they're going to be spending a lot of time together now. She's spending the night there, and who knows what else they're going to do together now." Hester winced when her brother gave her a glare, but she didn't back down yet. "What I mean is that we might have to wait for the pixies." He motioned her to go on. "Most likely if they're going to be sleeping in the same house, they probably will be together too whenever they leave the village. Laundry, hunting, ba- "

"Hester," he nearly growled out, and she finally stopped. He did understand her point, though. "... That might be the case to some extent. If (f/n) is willing to sleep in his home, then she might be willing to do that too even if it makes my blood boil thinking about it." Jacob clutched his knee tightly. "But, hunting is unlikely." His eyes met hers. "She still has work, but that means that she might never be alone since she hasn't moved in with the knight completely."

"Then, only the knight will be alone is what you're thinking." She received confirmation from her brother. "And if her parents allowed this, they probably won't let you talk to her either."