Bookish

Mirtunjay's Pov

"Ishani...where are you?" It has been almost a minute since the power went off and I was calling her name but she wasn't responding. I tried to find my phone but then I realized that I forgot it in my room.

I walked in the dark room aimlessly, looking for her and stopped when I walked past her for a second and turned back.

"Ishani...are you alright?!" I asked worriedly holding her close to my chest. It made me even more worried when she didn't replied. 'Is she afraid of darkness?'

I placed my hand around her and searched for the door. Before we can exit the room, unexpectedly the light came back.

"Ishani...look at me...are you alright?"
Her dark brown eyes looked at me in sheer panic and restlessness, tears streaming down her soft cheeks.

I cupped her face and wiped her tears before leading her to a chair by the piano. She sat on it hiding her face in her palms. I knelt down and removed her hands from her face. Was she embarrassed? Yes, which made me angry at myself for letting her feel like that.

"Do you fear darkness?" I asked hesitantly. She looked at me, slowly lifting her head and meeting my eyes. "Yes..." a tear slipped from her eyes. I wanted to ask her 'why' but I didn't because I didn't want to her feel vulnerable.

To take her mind off from current situation, I started to play the keys on the piano, slowly and rhythmically.

Even though my eyes were closed while playing it, I could feel her stare on me. I opened my eyes slowly when the song came to an end and found her still gazing at me. I gestured her play the piano, at first she hesitated but then she gracefully played a very touching tone which I never had heard before, I walked to the candlestands and lit all the candles, ensuring that if the powers cut off again there's no darkness in this room.

"Where did you learn that piece?" I asked.

"My mom..she taught me when I was 8..." she said while playing a higher note.

"You are so talented! When I was 8, all I learned was how to play ludo!" I chuckled.

"But you know how to play piano now...—age doesn't matter to learn new things...you could be 60 and still learn how to dance..and to be honest I still have no idea how to play ludo.." I couldn't believe my ears how frankly she talked me for the first time.

She looked different but in a good way. I took the opportunity and took her hand, leading her in the middle of the room. She gazed me confusedly.
'I hope I don't die!' I thought to myself as I was risking my everything on this moment that I was ready to steal.

I pulled her closer, intertwining her hand with mine, holding her gaze. "What are you doing?!" She said trying to escape from my hold around her waist.

"Ishani...Why do you hate me?" I asked.
She stopped her attempts to escape from me and looked at me with widened eyes.

"I know you do. So tell me Ishu why?" I loved it whenever I called her by nickname which was obviously given by me and I was proud of it.

"I-I don't hate you..." She said meanwhile I twirled her around and then brought her closer, her back pressing against me and my face nestling in her long luscious hair, which smelled like heaven.

"Then why are you so distant from me..." I asked, whispering in her ear. "Is this just because who I am? Is that why you—

"—No" She turned around. "I-I don't know..." She replied looking down at her feet.

Suddenly, the light went off again, but this time there wasn't darkness but brightness of the burning candles, enchanting the marbled room.

Ishani's Pov