chapter twelve

adrien's pov
"lucky charm!!" movie ladybug called, summoning up a mirror. i recognized the akuma victim, but movie ladybug was nothing like the real one. the voice actress was far from bad, sweetest person ever, but she didn't really capture m'lady, and the way they wrote her certainly didn't help.
i heard a small snore come from my shoulder, and i turned to see marinette fast asleep, her head laying on me. i smiled, she looked so calm while sleeping. it was like that time she fell asleep on the startrain, on our way to london.
i rested my head on hers as i had on the train, but the sound of the door opening startled me out of my thoughts. i looked down to see if the noise had woken marinette, but luckily she slept through it.
"mr and mrs dupain! hey, you scared me," i whispered, pretending to wipe sweat off my forehead. mr. dupain took his apron off and approached us.
"oh, chat noir, don't be silly. call us tom and sabine, no need for the formalities," mrs. dupain- i mean, sabine, said. i smiled. "oh, is she asleep?"
"yeah, she fell asleep a few minutes ago, i think. i didn't realize she had until i heard her snoring."
"she's a snorer, just like her mother," tom said, looking fondly at his wife. she swatted him playfully, and their expressions radiated nothing but love. it was adorable to see how much affection they displayed, but it almost felt like i was intruding.
   "i should go, it's getting pretty late," i told them, and they broke their gaze on each other to look at me. "if you want i could, carry marinette up to her room?"
   "that would be wonderful, thank you, son," tom said, patting me on the back. son. i knew he said it out of habit to many people, but the expression warmed my heart. i smiled and gently scooped marinette up, careful not to disturb her.
   the walk up the stairs was harder than i thought, since i had to be careful not to hit her head on the wall or make her feet brush against the railing. finally, i made it to her room, thinking the hardest part was over.
   nope, of course she has a raised bed. i sighed. it was a miracle that she hadn't woken up yet. she must've been really tired. somehow, i managed to get her up on her bed and wrapped in a blanket.
   as if on impulse, i stood on my toes and gave her the faintest whisper of a kiss on her forehead before heading out. she stirred a bit, but kept sleeping contentedly.
———
kagami giggled quietly, making sure the librarian wasn't looking at us again. my bodyguard sat a few tables away, as mrs. tsurugi had insisted we needed some kind of supervision, even at the library. my father seemed to agree with her, but i didn't mind. the gorilla- as i had nicknamed him- wasn't one to spoil fun.
   "i can't believe it's nearly the last month of school and we're stuck here, in the library, STUDYING," i complained, flicking a small eraser towards the hefty textbook in front of us.
   "hey, not everyone can get straight a's and still balance modeling, fencing, and chinese," kagami teased, flicking the same eraser back towards me. i laughed and she did as well, but after a while we were just looking each other in the eyes. she began to lean in, and i mirrored her. we got close, so close i could feel her breath on my skin. i parted my lips, but then turned away at the last minute. i couldn't. not yet.
   she leaned back too, all the humor lost from her eyes. "how much more will i have to wait, adrien? your indecisiveness hurts me, is this my fault?"
   "i'm sorry kagami i just.. i can't yet. it's not your fault, not at all. its mine," i assured her, guilt eating at me. kagami is amazing, and i wasn't lying, it isn't her fault that i just can't bring myself to kiss her yet. it was far from that. i was just, confused.
   the playfulness of the hour had disappeared, and for the rest of the time we studied quietly, only talking when necessary. even on the ride home, she remained silent, facing forward the whole way.
   "plagg, is it so bad that i keep asking for more time? what if kagami gets tired of me?" i asked when we were finally alone in my room.
   "i don't see the big deal, but you WERE the one who asked her to go to the skating rink with you. i don't think she would've even fallen for you if you hadn't."
   i sighed. i knew he was right, which made me feel worse. i had been the one to make the first move, and i didn't regret it, but everything felt like it was moving too fast.
   i sat on my chair, spinning it slightly. plagg lay on my phone, sleeping, until it began to vibrate. he bolted awake, and i laughed at him before picking up the phone. the caller ID read nino.
   "dude, what's up! alya, marinette and i are going to disneyland tomorrow, do you think you could come?" he asked, and i felt excited before realizing my father would never let me go.
   "i'd love to, but my father..."
   "it won't hurt to ask. it's about time he lets you go out with your friends."
   "i know, but he means well. i'll ask him right now and see what he says. thanks nino," i told him before we hung up.
   i went to his study and found the door slightly open. he stood at his computer, seemingly zooming into something.
   "father, can i ask you something?" i said, fidgeting with my ring.
   "make it quick. i've got work to do," he answered, not even bothering to look up from whatever it was he did on his computer.
   "um, so my friends are going to disneyland tomorrow and, i was wondering if i could go with them? please?"
   he finally looked up from his screen, staring at me incredulously. "adrien, it's much too dangerous at that theme park. besides, you have to practice your piano."
   "i know, but father-"
   "i said no, adrien! there's been countless akumatizations lately, and after what happened while you were in new york, the city is less safe than ever. do you understand?"
   "yes, sir," i said dejectedly, trudging to my room.
   suddenly, i got an idea. adrien was forced home, but who said anything about chat noir having to stay inside?