chapter twenty-eight

marinette's pov
  he gaped at me, speechless for a few seconds. i began to worry that i looked bad, and halfway considered darting outside and jumping off my balcony based on the shocked look he wore, but then he cleared his throat and put on his classic sly expression.
"well, purr-incess, have i ever told you you're one of the most talented people i know? it's amazing! you look like you walked straight out of the show, are you SURE you didn't steal the crews costumes through some kind of, universe switching machine or something?" chat said, still staring at the dress. i giggled.
   "i swear i didn't commit any impossible crimes to get this thing. honestly, kitty, it's not that good. it's still missing a few key details."
   he rolled his eyes. "you're insane. it's one of the best things i've ever seen. and, chat noir has impecable taste, if you didn't already know," he bragged, standing up from his chair. 
   "you are, however, missing one small thing. may i?" he pointed at my hair. i nodded, unsure of where this was going but trusting him regardless. it seemed like something we did, trusting each other even if we had no idea what it would get us into.
   i felt tugging at the back of my head and realized he was letting my hair down. "woah, your hair is soft marinette! what type of magical conditioner are you using?" he ran his fingers through my hair gently, and i wondered it he could even feel it through his gloved hands.
   "oh, come on, as if you need it. your hair is perfect as is," i said, causing his hands to stop in place for a few seconds. shoot. that was not supposed to be voiced out loud. my face heated up, and i was glad he wasn't in front of me to notice.
   "hm, you're right. nobody compares to me," he said slightly shakily, beginning to brush through my hair once again. he moved before me, his tongue sticking out as he parted and brushed and redid my hair over again. i stared at him, willing myself to think of anything but how adorable he looked at this moment, his cheeks puffed up just slightly in concentration, and his nose looking so very cute and tappable scrunched up like that.
after a few minutes, he began slowing down the brushes. i frowned involuntarily, realizing i didn't want him to stop playing with my hair.
   only because it was soothing, not because it was him specifically doing it.
   still, he didn't hear my mental plea, because he stopped and stepped back, fake analyzing whatever mess he had just made with my hair.
   "okay, yeah, you look perfect. thanks to my amazing hair styling skills, of course."
   "all you did was play around with it and let it down!"
   "and now you look incredible, you're welcome. besides, the extra help from me wasn't even needed. you look wonderful with your hair up or down anyway," he said, a sincere look crossing his face. i smiled at his sweetness.
   we stared at each other for a few seconds, the silence in the room a comfortable one. in the silence, a quickening pitter-patter was becoming audible all around us. it was, just as anyone could have predicted with the gloomy sky, raining.
chat approached the window and stared for a bit before turning back to me quickly, a huge grin on his face.
"let's go outside?"
"aren't cats afraid of water?" i quipped. he rolled his eyes.
"not this cat! i'm braver than anything, purr-incess, come on!" he said, dragging me towards the trapdoor. i tugged the opposite way, laughing.
"are you and i thinking of the same cat? because the one i know is afraid of roller coasters and cries while watching titanic."
"hey! don't rain on my parade. i was... faking all that. besides, you can't tell me jack's death doesn't set you off. now come on!"
   "chat, you began to bawl when they first met. you probably cried like ten times while watching the movie." he glared at me, and i relented.
"fine! at least let me get an umbrella," i said, grabbing the first one i could find next to my desk. i smiled. it was the umbrella adrien had given to me on the first day of school.
chat seemed to hyper-fixate on the umbrella, his expression becoming unreadable for a few seconds. it changed fast, though, and he proceeded to keep dragging me out of the room and down the stairs.
   "hey sabine! is it okay if i take your daughter out into the rain?"
   my mom laughed at chat. "of course honey, but if she gets a cold you're nursing her back to health," she warned.
   "oh, but i'm so cool i bet it'll make her sicker," he smirked, flexing his arms for us. my mom just smiled warmly, and that was all it took for his sarcastic smile to turn into a genuine one. "don't worry, i won't let her get sick. cat's honor!"
   "you know, you remind me so much of tom back when we were dating. him and i would have dates out in the rain and-"
   "mom! this isn't a date!" i interrupted, this time being the one to drag chat out. he pouted.
   "hey! the story was getting interesting!"
   i opened the umbrella and scooted closer to him, making sure both of us were covered by it. "you had the idea to come outside."
    "whatever. anyway, you have got to tell me what your favorite character of the show is!" he said excitedly, his eyes filled with that twinkle that they always got. i'd seen it so many times before during patrols, and while we hung out, but it never failed to fill me with warmth inside.
   "mmmm, probably the best friend. she's the only one who's smart enough to realize that they love each other!"
   "you've got good taste. i see now why we're so close."

(a/n: we all know adrien is a huge nerd when it comes to anime so imagine him just completely geeking out w marinette over his fave shows or even movies please the possibilities are so endless)