~The Soul Of The Seven Seas~

By the time we reach the settlement. The early evening sun cast long shadows on the ground. The slanting rays of the setting sun give a warm orange tinge to the sky. Tempers frayed between the Are and the Avangard that Zoar and I diffuse. After the brawl is settled and my safety made apparent. I left to my cave dwelling, my bedroll packed along with my new items, ready to recommence our trek to Velheim in a few brief hours.

I sit slumped on the ground, leaning against the rock wall. Out of sheer habit, both scabbards are strapped to my thighs, even though only one of them is occupied. This fleeting gift of solitude is all I have to digest, all that I have been told. But I feel as if no amount of time in reflective isolation will allow my mind to fully wrap around the truth. The truth of what I am.

"Hera?"

My head whisks to the left to see Solaris politely peeking his head beside the flap. My insides tangle into taut knots. I rise to my feet and walk out of the cave to join him. I emerge on the other side, on the ledge, in front of him.

With both hands, he offers me something I thought I had lost forever. "I wanted to give you this earlier, but you were not here."

I take my father's dagger into my grasp, holding it up to admire the bejewelled hilt that gleams under dying light.

"I went to inquire about your absence to Primus Kelan, but it seems he was already made aware." Something is off in his tone, like he's uncomfortable. Stalling. "You should have seen him. I thought he was going to behead all of the Are, if they did not disclose your whereabouts. Anthia had to keep repeating that Zoar refused to tell them where you and him ventured to. Where did he take you?"

I lower the dagger to my stomach, using it to distract my gaze.

"You do not have to pretend, Solaris," I say to the dagger, denying eye contact. "I know... I know you saw me."

Solaris drags out a heavy sigh. "I do not know what I saw, truth be told."

I wince, then I sheathe my dagger. Crossing my arms, I hug myself.

"I do not know what that was," he says with stark bafflement. "When I looked into your eyes, I did not see Hera Aurora, I did not even see a living being. Your eyes were vacant, utterly soulless. What you did...or did not do. It was horrific...bad."

My head hangs in overwhelming shame, the tip of my chin touches the collar of my corsage.

"The act was... evil," he whispers regretfully. "But you are not, Aurora. You are good."

I raise my head slightly, my gaze on the gravelly ground.

"Of course you are. And how can you ever doubt it? I knew you for many cycles before the King Trials and even now, the many moons that we have grown closer because of it. I know your heart, and it is good."

Tears burn behind my eyes.

"It was why Zekei and Tamani rallied at your side in the Blood Games. Because even after all the torture Rimnick put you through, you spared his life. What happened afterwards was entirely his own doing. Not yours."

"Look at me." He grips my shoulders, shaking me. A smile wiggles its way on my face. I gaze into those eyes of enchanted, empyrean blue pools. "You are stronger than any hardship you may face. Alas, you are not the same high-minded Hera as before. You are much more, and still will be."

He releases my shoulders and nods firmly. "I said my piece. I know as rivals, trust is an unobtainable commodity. But if you ever need—"

I lunge for him, yanking him into a bone-crushing embrace—he fumbles a step back in surprise, and I hold on to him as tightly as I can. Then his arms slowly coil around my waist, returning my embrace.