The Solstice Ball.

Nine cycles ago.

The Third Equinox

Sahrul 1004

"I cannot believe it," Seliah squealed, her arm tightly looped around mine.

She gazed through the scenery, her eyes sparkling with wonder. Everything was spectacular. The highborn crowd robed in majestic gowns and fabrics. The decoration was a phantasmagoria of colours that shone wonderful hues on the walls. Floral garlands hung from the ceiling.

A jubilant ballad washed over the crowd, most of them grouped up in pairs and whisked across the dance floor like the wings of a butterfly fluttering in the wind.

"Our first solstice ball" She shrieked another excited sequel.

"There are so many nobles I recognise! And ones I do not, possibly even royals."

My eyes combed through the glittering masses. I recognised a few but none I would voluntarily greet, and I hoped they too felt the same way.

"Take a look at the one who shines the brightest," she said, elbow digging into me.

I followed her line of sight to a thick clump surrounding a Nobleman, young. Our age. He had dark luxuriant hair that reached his neck with one of those rare smiles, a prominent feature.

"That is Herem Vince-Esputo Ethane," Seliah whispered in her gossip voice. "The eldest, heir to his Regnum and unbelievably handsome."

He had enraptured those around him with his mere words. I observed his audience for a moment. Mainly drooling noble girls and a few Noblemen of an older age, most likely friends of his.

"Look how they are basically eating out of his hand." She looked back at me with a thrilled look and quirked her brows at me. "What do you think of him?"

I looked back at her with a frown. "Why does my opinion matter?"

"Do not act coy, Rorie," she said with a tincture of reproach. "You and I will be of age soon, and you know your mother probably has a list of eligible candidates at the ready. Father was distraught even, she harassed him to permit us to attend as an excuse for us to go husband hunting. The least we could do is have our own list of worthy options."

She snorted, and we both shared a laugh.

"That is a day I dread greatly but...." My gaze evaluated the popular Herem. "I refuse to judge before I had the chance to know someone, but I feel as if Herem Vince and I would clash. He's too... gaudy, and a—"

"war-hungry Ethane? A bloodthirsty Emikrollian?" She scoffed; her tone soured. "Please do not tell me you believe in those outlandish stories meant to amuse. It may be true, but my beloved sister; a person can be more than their lineage."

She bopped a shoulder. "I am living proof."

"I know," I said apologetically.

"Oo," she chirped. Someone in the distance caught her gaze.

"How do I look?" She teased the neckline of her chiffon dress.

"Breath-taking."

She rolled her eyes. "You are only saying that because you picked out the dress."

I gaped at her. "That is because you said your breasts looked non-existent in the other, and all the other ones Pinta exhibited were of poor taste. Sometimes I forget who is the Hera between you and I."