~Dragon Fire~

For the big banquet tonight, I am undergoing a full pampering, an intense beauty regimen with three attendants to oversee my transformation. After bathing in myrrh and fine-fragrant oils. My body scented with shiny, skin-nourishing cream. At the vanity table, Juwela braids my hair, several plaited locks pulled through thin gold bands. Another decorates my face with cosmetics that naturally augment my features without looking too gaudy.

The third attendant finally returns, and she comes back with a companion, drawing in a wide-ranging assortment of exquisite gowns. Which unfortunately was a wasted effort because my decision is already made. I only need one that covers my tattoos, and this Juwela relays for me, and I entrust her with the task to choose for me.

Once I completed the intricate stage of the treatment, both my hair and face are done. Juwela aids me in choosing a grown. The rose-gold dress is long-sleeved and as tight as a second layer of skin. It has a web of golden netting knitted across my chest and it continues like a cape, pouring down my bare back. The sheeny rose-gold spills to the floor, pooling around my feet.

My hair shines healthily, the free-flowing locks are curly, only the front row is adorned with the golden bands. And by my surprise, Gaius is waiting just outside. I exit with Juwela and the other two attendants at my tail.

I emerge in the vacant corridor, empty except for a royally dressed Gaius.

"Hera Aurora...." he trails off dazedly. He clears his throat and quickly meets my eye. "You look absolutely ravishing."

I thank him with a half-hearted smile, and I glance down the palatial stretch. "Where are the guards?"

"Active duty, patrolling. Standard procedure for large events held in the bastion," Gaius informs and offers me his arm. "Quite like a historical event such as this."

"And I have the honour of being personally escorted by you," I say, taking him in with a disinterested skim. "The other Herems might begrudge your apparent partiality," I say, and our arms linking.

He leads me onwards with the three attendants following.

"I have already escorted the other Herems to the banquet a while ago to their reserved seating. Your Duce Merian, he is quite eager to meet with the Ecclesia."

I glance at him sideways. "Excuse the delay, my preparation took longer than expected."

Our gaze clasps, and he gives me another once-over. "Certainly worth the wait. But this is good, an opportunity to warn you to be careful tonight. Especially when you meet the Ecclesia, engagement will be minimal since this is a sacred feast. They may not speak to any of you at all, but always be on guard."

"Be careful how?"

"Behave like your fellow purebloods. Incompetent. Feign imprudence if you must but be the exact opposite of who you are. If the Ecclesia discovers that you know our languages, fluently even. They will have no problem interrogating you, then killing you and your entire convoy."

I snatch my arm away. "They dare not. As you said, we are purebloods, descendants of the Decuria, and contenders for the future throne. If you execute us all, you would be but declaring war on most of Urium."

He exhales heavily, freeing his frustration. "As you said, you cannot go to war with a people and place that does not exist. If the High King were to send more sorcerers to find this place. It is only because we allowed the Hitsches to that they did. And even if they located us, no being has ever breached the gatekeeper's barrier. So, if you want to test the theory. I advise you to pretend to be as foolish as they will assume you to be."