Nine

Charles

"Look Raven, I don't want to bother him at the moment." I said, becoming quite tired of her pestering.

"Charles, he's waiting for you in the garden. If you don't go out there, I will. I will talk to him as you. I know you hate that."

I sighed, trying not to cry again. I couldn't deal with anymore shouting so I agreed to be led to god knows where. Our five minute walk was in silence. I was fine with the silence. My face had easily traceable tear stains, however not all of them were mine. Some were his, some were the tears of a thousand men and women who have been through the same thing.

I remembered the place where we were going. I hadn't been there in years, and I most certainly never told Erik about it. He must've found it himself. What boredom brings to one's mind.

I loved the cherry blossom trees, they made this part of the garden seem separate and tranquil. It reminded me of Japan.

I heard my sister scream, she was ahead of me and in the garden already. I ran over to see what the matter was. That's when I saw it. The most horrifying thing I will ever see.

My best friend, my illegal lover was hanging from a thick tree branch, the rope laced with his wine coloured blood where it cut into his soft, now ghostly pale, skin. He was alive for a second more. I saw our shared tears on his face and he mouthed three words that I needed not to hear from him in this situation. He was gone, eyes lifeless although still a brilliant blue green. I cried underneath him after I sent Raven inside to compose herself. His blood dripped onto my bare shoulders, however I didn't mind. At that point, it would be the only thing I would bathe in. The blood of a remarkable man. I climbed the tree myself, not caring about the scratches and scars it may leave on my skin, and untied the knot with trembling hands. I held onto Erik gently, being careful not to drop him and I sat quivering in the tree, cradling his body. He looked damaged and innocent. I did that damage to him. I cried onto his head. I didn't want him to be gone. I needed him back, I needed to say sorry.

I unwrapped the bloodstained rope from his throat and lay his head on my knees. I stared into his eyes and closed my own. That image would haunt me for years to come. I held onto him tightly while climbing down the tree. He wouldn't have a church funeral. I decided I would bury him in the Japanese garden. Raven, Hank and possibly another friend of mine who was like us, and spoke with Erik and I on the phone a few times, will attend the funeral and I will of course join them. My last moment with my friend was one only I knew of. I missed him already. I loved him. I love him, present tense.

The funeral was held a few days later, I'd buried him as soon as I got down from the tree and got a spade from the shed. All dressed in black, the four of us lay a white flower of any kind and I prepared myself for my speech.

"Erik was an amazing man. One of the best men I ever knew, sorry Logan and Hank, however he wasn't just my best friend. He was my partner. Although it was against the law for us to be together, I didn't care and I'm certain he didn't either. We made an eternity of love and happiness in a year, if that's not dedication to each other then I don't know what is. Although we'd had multiple arguments, we had always found time to watch Doctor Who together afterwards. That wasn't the case this time. Three days ago, one of our arguments turned into a fight which led to the death of our dear friend. I c-" I started to choke up, the ink on my paper running as my tears collided with it. "I can't imagine how long it will be until I'm over this, however our last moment was one only I knew. Only I felt emotion. He lay there looking up at me in dismay. Erik was a f-fant-fantastic man. Brilliant mind and pure heart. I love him still and will do all I can to avenge him and protect our kind." I was properly crying, I couldn't complete my speech. There was only a sentence left but I decided I would put that on his headstone when I got round to buying one.

A year passed before I did actually get one, but I made sure it had everything that showed how much he is missed and how much I love him.

Erik Magnus "German Surname" Lehnsherr
1921-1963
'He was the most important thing to me and I will always treasure the memories we had together. Erik, I love you.'

Sorry all. I'm well and truly sorry. I'm crying rn.