Four

Erik

It was an eventful next couple of days as I was collecting a few of my things that I needed from my apartment. It was just the general stuff like clothes, washing gear. I also packed a camp bed because I've seen Charles' room and it's massive. Big enough for his double and my little bed.

Everything was sorted and I was currently trying to shove all my clothes in one drawer. I heard a sigh and then muttering as someone else started putting my clothes in neatly.

"You know Erik, it's not that hard to fold your things and place them in nicely." Hank said, chucking another polo shirt in the drawer.

"They are folded. Also, the more you fold them, the bigger the item becomes in height so I think my method was marginally better." I told him, shoving a pair of pants into the top drawer.

"I was only trying to help. How do you even know Charles anyway?" I sighed before answering his question.

"I went out to buy a chess set two days ago and it appeared we wanted the same thing. Then he invited me here to play a game. We ended up playing a few, leading to me missing the train and staying the nigh-"

"Where in the house did you stay?" Hank interrupted me.

"Does that matter? I really don't have to say every detail." I replied sharply, for some reason. I was usually much more polite. "Sorry, I was just getting a little bit wound up. I didn't mean to be like that."

"I-it's fine. I'm kinda used to it, being teased in school and stuff." Hank stammered before leaving to go and speak to Charles.

'Great', I thought, 'Charles will definitely still want me here after that.'

I finished organising my stuff and setting up the camping bed. I saw a picture on Charles' desk in a small oval frame. I wasn't sure whether I'd be allowed to look at it, but that's what pictures are for anyway.

It was a picture of Charles and a woman. This woman was beautiful, a unique person with her blue, scaled skin and vibrant orange hair. This must've been Raven, otherwise Charles wouldn't have looked so happy to see her. I wondered whether he would ever look at me like that, all his good emotions flooding into his eyes.

"Erik?" Charles asked, making me jump. "Is everything alright? I hear you had a little bit of a snap at Hank." I inhaled deeply, unable to answer. "Don't worry, I won't kick you out. I can understand why you did it, he can be a bit much."

"He was just prying slightly. I'm not really the type of person to give unnecessary information away." I told the shorter man, turning to face him. "Is that Raven?" I pointed to the photograph which I had been observing.

All was silent, and then I knew that the answer to my question was yes.

"Yes, it is her. She's beautiful isn't she?"

"Incredibly so, she's an exquisite creature. You must love her a great deal." I told the telepath in a comforting way, seeing as I could sense he was getting slightly upset.

"Indeed I do Erik, however I may never gain her trust again. I'm glad I've got you to talk to in the evenings." Charles told me, standing beside me. We looked at our reflections in the large mirror and I stared myself in the eyes and wondered why I even considered myself a human being. I was a failure. Nobody had wanted me when I was younger apart from my mother. "Erik stop. I know what you're thinking, you're a completely wonderful person, it's an honour to have you here." My friend said giving me a shoulder squeeze.

"Thanks Charles, but I feel that you're doing too much for me. What have I done for you?" I complained, staring into the sea of blue before me.

"What have you done? Erik, you've done so much for me. You have no idea how much you've changed my life. I used to be dreading the thought of making friends, and well, you came along and sorted that out for me."