Seven

Charles

My life with Erik was getting better and better day by day, yes there were some things we didn't agree on, but we managed to get along with each other almost immediately after.

  After about ten months of us living together, the unthinkable happened. I was sat in my chair, reading something that I had read for my university revision a few years back, when the phone started ringing.

  I sighed and got up to answer it.

  "Charles Xavier."

  "Good afternoon Sir, my name is Officer Jack Johnson from the NYPD. I just wanted to tell you that I have a man in the station claiming to be your best friend."

  I was speechless. My mind froze and replayed the sentence over and over again.

  "Erik? What has he done?"

  "Nothing at all, but he's severely injured. His story is that he was at the store because it was his turn to do the shopping when he noticed someone quite short trying to reach for something from a high shelf. He didn't want to go over and ask, so he lifted the item up, without touching it somehow and placed it in the other person's cart."

  I wrote down what he'd said and asked for him to carry on.

  "Then what happens?"

  "The person looked round and saw that he was playing with two metal balls, they were going round in a small circle just above his hand. Then she of course called the police because she was afraid of him and another person started to panic and attack your friend because he thought he was some sort of assistant to the devil or something. I don't know, something religious. So, we took him in and got him cleaned up."

  I was close to tears, I was afraid of being beaten up myself or maybe Hank and Raven were in danger too.

  "I'm coming now. Where are the wounds?"

  "To his cheek, like I said earlier, nothing too bad, just a bloody scrape."

  I signed off and got the car to drive into the city to pick up Erik. When I pulled up in the car park, I sat there for a while, head in my hands and salty tears running down my cheek. Some random person had hurt my friend for helping someone in a slightly different way to what she'd expected.

  I stopped after about five minutes then dried my eyes before opening the car door and walking into the police station office area.

  "Afternoon, what can I do for you Sir?" The man at the desk asked a polite smile on his face.

  "Well, my friend is here because he was kind of in a fight, but didn't do anything. A one sided battle. One of your officers called up and told me that they were cleaning him up and that I should come and get him." I told him, coughing afterwards to distract him from seeing me cry.

  "I see, I know who you're looking for. Can you give me his name?"

  "Erik Lehnsherr. Is he alright, he's not dead or anything, is he?"

The guy behind the desk laughed and shook his head and got up, instructing that I followed him.

  "This him?" I looked in the window and saw my best friend laying on that paper thin mattress with specks of blood over his face and clothes. It wasn't the best thing to see.

  I nodded because I knew if I spoke, the floor would be flooded. The officer opened the door and allowed me inside.

  "Charles, good to see you. I was wondering where you were." He said, a damaged smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile back. I stood there helplessly until I found myself holding Erik, tightly showing that he was safe because I was protecting him.