Six

Erik

I still wasn't completely settled into the Xavier mansion, however I'd nearly got all the rooms down on my house map. This was key because I got lost so many times.

Hank was gone, but I didn't want to leave the big bed because it was just so fluffy and warm. Also, if I left, I'd feel bad for leaving Charles alone in that soft, pillowy mess. It just felt abnormal to leave the bed.

Not that any part of our lives were normal, we weren't normal people. It's horrible to hide away all the time. I hated people.

I thought about telling Charles about what people thought too, but I decided that he already knew the problems that our kind faced.

I had no idea what was going on between Charles and I. I tried to piece some things together, but so far nothing went right. I'd pushed all thoughts of love out of my head because I had actually forgotten what it felt like to love and be loved. It had been too long.

Nothing stopped me from being curious though, I still tried to figure out why I felt I needed to stay here and keep Charles company. Not just to save his loneliness from creeping up on him, there had to be other reasons why.

As the days went on, Charles and I ate an infinite amount of biscuits and got through more tea than the British prime minister did on a daily basis. We still shared the bed, however I had banished Charles to the metal bed a few times, he needed to know that I had very little space because he stretched out so much, so I punished him by making him have three nights on the small, rusted thing. He was grumpy, but still did it in order to get his place on the big bed back.

Some days, we just sat inside thinking about all the great things that have happened in the time we've been together. None of which have been so exciting they'd go down in history, but they'd definitely been something I was determined to never forget.

One boiling hot Sunday afternoon, Charles and I went to the river at the bottom of his garden and sat in the woods around it before going for a quick swim. The water was clear and you could see tons of different fish and whatever else there was.

Neither of us had the correct clothing, so we just wore what we were wearing that day, for me it was a grey t-shirt and somematching jogging bottoms. I didn't care about making myself look nice when there was nobody present who cared about wearing suits and ties every day.

Charles soon realised that I was incredibly lazy, so he knew it was alright for him to not dress up in the cardigans and immensely ironed trousers, and exchange them for clothes that were comfortable.

One day in late September, just when the leaves started to fall from the trees and decorate the tidy Xavier garden, my friend and I sat outside, thinking to ourselves in a pleasant silence. A sudden wind broke through the branches and caressed our faces before leaving slowly to make some other people cold elsewhere. I looked to Charles and saw he had brought out the feather duvet from the bed and curled up underneath it. I just sat still on the floor, thinking he was asleep when an odd shuffling noise raced through my ears. I didn't look because I was a hundred percent sure it was Xavier moving about in his sleep.

Suddenly I got whacked in the face by a big, squashy, cotton covered pile of feathers. My right side started to feel slightly warmer too, then I looked round to see my friend leaning against me, his soft brown hair brushing on my jaw.

"Erik, it's rather cold isn't it?" He asked, mumbling slightly.

"Yes, but if you're warm enough then I'm happy to be out here." I reply, pulling a hand through my hair and putting my scarf back on.