Three

Charles

I got up early the next morning to put the kettle on and make a start on a good breakfast for my friend and I, however I found the pots and utensils floating around the room. I ducked as I nearly got knocked out by a frying pan and watched to where it went.

  "Good morning Charles. I hope you don't mind that I cook for you." Erik said, pouring oil into the pan and putting it on the hob.

  "Well, I came down to cook for you seeing as you were sound asleep when I started to walk around the house. Why don't we cook together, that way there'll be no arguing." I told him, getting some food out from the fridge.

  "Good idea, now, Full English or just a couple of bacon and egg sandwiches?" I thought for a bit and grinned.

  "I'll have whatever you're having and you want a Full English, but without beans. You can't have beans because you're allergic to them." I told the taller man who just applauded me and took the egg box from me and got a few out.

  "There's a few things that I saw upstairs, things about a school? What's all that about?" Erik asked, turning the fan on so it wouldn't get too hot in the kitchen with all the smoky food and stuff.

  "Oh, just a hope for the future. This can't be an empty old dump forever. I need to be in contact with the world again." I told him, while getting some bread out and putting it in the toaster. "And, I doubt it will ever happen, this place is in the middle of nowhere!"

  "There's always a chance it might happen. You never know what's going to occur. Anyway, I think you'd make a great teacher, especially with all your knowledge and uh, science stuff." I laughed at the last part then got on with finishing the meal.

  Breakfast was finally made and we sat in the front room in a silence that wasn't awkward, however it wasn't peaceful either. One of us was dying to talk first, but didn't want to be rude at the same time. I decided I should go for it. It wasn't the best idea.

  "So-"

  "Thank-" I got a bit embarrassed and tried to stutter out an apology.

  "Oh, uh, s-sorry Erik. Say what you need to say." I heard a low chuckle and listened out for the speech that followed it.

  "No worries Charles, really. I just wanted to thank you for letting me stay overnight and borrow your friend's clothes. Nobody's ever been as kind as this after knowing me for under twenty-four hours." He said, looking up at me as I (messily) shoved a bit of egg into my mouth.

  "So sorry. I'm not usually this impolite." I told my friend, my mouth still full of the food. I swallowed it quickly and drank some water to cool my red face.

  "It's perfectly alright, my friend. It's human nature to be a little bit messy. Nobody's perfect, besides, you don't have to be embarrassed if you spill food down your front. All mistakes are good." I shook my head and smiled softly at the green eyed man in front of me.

  "How come nearly everything you say is so deep and meaningful? You always seem to know what could really gets to a person's mind without reading them. That's one of many reasons why there should be a lot of people like you, Erik. There really should." I told him, and stood up to take our plates out. "Raven would've loved to meet you, I'm sure." I quickly ran to the kitchen so Erik wouldn't see me crying.

  "She sounds lovely Charles. I can tell she was special to you." I heard the tall man say, coming up behind me.

  I lost it. I turned round and broke down. I fell into Erik's arms and told him what happened.

  "I just don't know what happened Erik! She just left one day saying that if she's going to fit into society, she needs to go out of the house. I told her that's fine, that we could go out into the city sometimes if that what she wanted to do. Then I got a lecture about how just roaming round New York wasn't good enough and that she needed to see the world and find things on her own. We went to bed that night and when I woke up she was gone. She left me on my own. On my own to die!" Then we just stood in the doorway of the kitchen as I cried into Erik's chest.

  "Charles, you blame yourself for what she did to you. It's not your fault, and she may have left you but nothing stopped you from meeting new people. Forgetting and moving on. We met each other only yesterday and we've managed to trust each other and bond over a simple meeting in a shop and a game of chess. Look at yourself Charles. You're a wonderful man. Anybody would be lucky to have you." Erik said, pulling me in tighter. He then mumbled something he probably thought I wouldn't hear, but I did and it made me happy to hear it. "Anybody will be lucky to have you, even if it can't be me."

  The rest of the day was very laid back and let's just say I was thinking for the whole day about what Erik said earlier. I decided to try and give Hank a call, seeing as I promised that I would see how he's getting on.

  We ended up talking for a good half hour and I found out that he was in the city and coming for a visit soon. I was happy at the news, but that also meant Erik couldn't stay again because I was keeping a few rooms in pristine condition in case the hope I had of starting a boarding school for people like me and Erik, Raven's room was too precious to ruin. That only left one option. He'd have to sleep with me. Well, until Hank left anyway.

  "Hey Erik, how would you like to stay here for a while? I know that you hate where you live and are lonely like me. I mean, you'd have to share my room because Hank's staying for a bit. However as soon as he's gone you can go back in there." I asked the man who was currently flicking the Newton's Cradle back and forth, wafting his hand about like a music conductor.

  "I would love to do that Charles. Are you sure you'd like having me around? I'm not much more than moving metal and deep reassurance." Erik told me, standing next me and looking at the fresh green grass in the garden.

  "Yes you are Erik. You're so much more than that. You're one of the few people in the world who near perfection." We looked at each other, happiness evident in his green orbs, then went to sit by the fire together as we had the night before.

Heh. Many Cherik feels. I found out that a girl I'm friends with ships Cherik/McFassy and I went mental. Oh well. Shout out to my mate Tom who's been waiting for this update very impatiently, (unlike you sophisticated people on the internet). Til next time Troops! ~@lokiismyvillain